1K handgun, 5K longarm, what kinds?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by CHLChris, Jun 14, 2011.

1. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

cddbrowns has a great thread ("Weapons out of the way") showing his collection. Then CA357 suggested one thousand rounds for every handgun and five thousand rounds for every longarm.

GREAT suggestion.

I didn't want to hijack browns' thread so let's discuss this further. If you accepted this "rule," what specifics would you follow?

Handgun:
    -FMJ vs HP? (I would probably follow 800/200)

Shotgun:
    -Fit under handgun 1K or long gun 5K? (I would probably go 1K)
    -00-buck vs slug vs bird shot? (I would probably follow 500/200/300)

AR-15:
    -55gr vs 62gr vs 79gr?
    -FMJ vs. penetrator vs. HPBT?
    -How many mags minimum? (My thought is minimum would be how many I can carry at one time in my vest rig)

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Here is some advice from a very good friend of mine as part of an interview I did with him for our Knowledge Base a couple of years ago.

Just some food for thought from a guy I have a lot of respect for and a background that a lot of people would have respect for if he openly talked about it. ;)

JD

3. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

That reminds me...

.22 rifle/pistol:
    -high velocity vs subsonic
    -lead vs plated

JD, wouldn't that be great if everyone in our "group" (whatever group of friends we call our peeps) was armed with an AR with 500 rounds?

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You mean your "friends" aren't?? :eek: You need to find new allies. Perhaps some forum members are local to you.

.22lr you should have by the truck load. It will make great trade bait and because several weapon systems can be converted (like an AR or several semi auto pistols like the 1911) to fire the .22lr round for practice, for hunting small game and for "quiet operations" with a little garage gunsmithing.

You know. Or so I have heard. :eek:

5. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Self important "gun guru" ^^

HAHAHAHA! Sorry man, had to be done.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Ouch Bro. Ouch. :eek:;)

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Geez Chris, you mean you're actually paying attention to the babblings of a semi-psycho old man? ;)

I won't post what I may or may not have for ammunition. However, my suggestions are valid. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

8. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I'm not suggesting that your dementia-addled suggestions should be always followed, just that this might be a good axiom to shoot for. (Actually I didn't know your age, CA. Maybe I'll listen even more carefully to you now that I know you are my elder. That's why I listen to JD's advice, his well-traveled, well-worn advice.) :)

I know I'm not at this ammo goal yet, so I really want to know what proportions of different types of ammo might be a good mix.

Anybody willing to put here some thoughts about real numbers or proportions?

9. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

I don't have an ar15 :(, I'm wanting to buy a lower or 2 sometime just in case the gubment gets all uppity like they did in clintons time. probably wanna buy a whole bunch of mags as well.

10. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

My philosophy on how much ammo a person should have is "the more the merrier". that is all

11. fireguy

fireguy New Member

What kind?

I am shooting for 50/50 ball vs. hollowpoint for the pistols. I have a long way to go to get the hollowpoint rounds that high. Just added .45 to the mix, so I have to start shopping for that. 3 9mm pistols, well over 1500 rounds.

Rifle ammunition milsurp .308 ball well over 1k. Better quality balistic tipped for the scoped gun-only 140 or so right now, but climbing.

5.56 mostly 55 grn, a few hollow points, a few hundred on stripper clips, some frangible for in the house use if it comes to that. One rifle, well over 1k rounds.

Shotgun: Several hundred slug, several hundred various buck, many hundred bird shot for 12 and 20 ga.

.22: Several thousand, some hollowpoint, some hyper velocity, all good.

30-30: Only enough to keep me in deer meat for a lot of years.

And Ca357 can't be old and over the hill yet, he's only 10 years older than me.

12. oldshooter

oldshooter New Member

In California, NEVER let them know what you have.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

I'm a little short for the shotty and the SKS. I don't think i have any quantity of ammo for the .410 or the 20 guage, but they would be backup hunting weapons, not defensive arms. I also need to stock more ammo & BP supplies for the BP guns.

I wish the cheap spam cans of 7.62x25 would come back, so i could stock up for the CZ52 at least.

14. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I'm not sure the higher #'s are necessary for those tertiary calibers and weapons. For instance, I only have enough .380 for my next range trip and a box or two of carry ammo. Apocalypse zombies will take a .380 and spit it back out.

Now my .45's...that's a different ball of wax.

15. urious

urious New Member

In relation to Mags, I would definately have more than just a 'front line'. Whatever you carry on your vest (i.e. 8-12) I would carry the same amount again in a BOB and a 3rd line somewhere else.

Even if your squared away enough to retain mags in a contact, they get damaged & will wear over time... For thought.

16. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Does ammunition go bad, or stale, or inert or something after a while?

17. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Stored right and ammo can last indefinitely. I at least wouldn't be worried shooting any ammo I have now fifty years from now, if I'm able to store it the same way I am now.

Dry and even temperature should do it just fine. I keep most of my ammo in my safe or bedroom. My house is even humidity and even temperature, for the most part.

Humidity and water are the WORST things for ammo. But Oregon is really pretty temperate.

How do people deal with conditions in the moist South?

18. 45acpjhp

45acpjhp New Member

Pistol- FMJ/HP = 500/300

Shotgun- Slug/Buck/Bird = 200/200/200

Rifle- FMJ/HP = 1000/1000 (not counting .22 - that's in the neighborhood of 5k)

I also reload and have enough primers, powder and bullets/shot to run all the brass/shotshells ('cept .22) through 3-5 times

19. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

As the dwarf said, I'm a little short right now. But I'm almost back up to my minimum SHTF levels.