1987 1911 refinish

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by pfev1980, Feb 28, 2012.

1. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

Thinking about sending in my 1911 to colt for the refinish job. It was made in 1987, wasn't used to kill insurgents or hitler or Stalin or anything like that. What I've read though, that's like a cardinal sin akin to eatting lunch at high school parking lots wearing a disguise or something. It's got a lot of wear from the previous twenty years and it's my favorite gun. Am I a bad guy for wanting to spit shine my baby?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

if it was a colt 1911 from 1912 or something that would be an issue but a 1987 version sending it back to colt for colt to do it would prolly raise the value :) with a colt factory refinish 30 years from now when it may be a collectable not even a real expert would know.

3. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

Not the best picture but the bluing is completely worn below the slide lock, the front of the slide is pretty worn and the exposed part of the barrel near the chamber is worn pretty well. I got it for what I considered a really good deal and even spending the couple of hundred bucks for a new finish i would still come in way below the cost of a new one. Plus, like I said, it's my baby.

Attached Files:

4. rock185

rock185 Member

Hello pfev1980, I have owned Colts since the mid 60s and would not hesitate to refinish a 1987 vintage Colt if I felt like it. I have a formerly blue-worn Colt Govt. made in '64, that appeared to have what remained of the original finish. I am not the original owner. I had it reblued, along with other work, in '98, still own it, and am glad I had it "spit shined".

I guess I'm too old, and have owned too many Colts, to believe they are all some kind sacrosanct collectors item or something, once they are a few years old. For instance, the original '70 Series, that tend to bring such high "collector" prices now days. I purchased several '70 Governments and Gold Cups back when they were in production. Some, were not really very good guns. Upon reflection, perhaps it's good they are "collectibles" now, because some sure weren't very good for shooting...

5. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

Refinish it the way you want and continue to carry it and have fun

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Pvef1980

You pic looks like a 1991 Series 80. I've got the same gun and am waiting for our resident PAPA BEAR on all things COLT to weigh in on this.

Cane... You out there tonight?

Mine is mint condition, but it's a series 80, plain Jane, with the matte black finish and I would really love a blued colt.

Tack

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The gun does not have a high intrinsic value but even so, it's probably worth more now than what it cost new.

What you have is what I call a Heirloom Shooter. It's value is personal, not financial.

I'd return it to Colt for refinishing. Call them;

CUSTOMER SERVICE

Colt’s Manufacturing Company LLC
    P.O. Box 1868
    Hartford, CT 06144

Tel: 800-962-COLT (2658) * Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm EST
    Fax: (860) 244-1379​

Ask them about the work you want done:

Firearm Refinishing
    Do you have a Colt firearm or firearm part that needs refinishing? Why ruin your gun with a refinishing job or refinished piece that is not up to Colt standards?

Colt’s Manufacturing Company is pleased to offer a range of refinishing options:

Refinishing
    • Receiver Only
    • Slide Only
    • Revolver Cylinder Only
    • Revolver Barrel Only
    • Complete Refinish of Firearm

Styles
    • Matte Blue
    • Blue
    • Nickel
    • Royal Blue
    • Hard Chrome
    • Stainless
    • Bright Stainless
    • Stainless to Bright Stainless

While at Colt, have them go through the gun for repair or replacement of anything needed. They can do custom work should you want.

Keep us in the loop.

8. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

Nah, it's just a bad pic, if I were home I'd get a better one. I'm in Florida at a SNCO seminar at the moment. I called Colt with the serial and they verified the year of manufacture. I'm going to send it in for the refinish in the next week or so. Will take some quality before and afters and post them. Thanks for the input everyone.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Not at all-
    Make it look like this one from the Colt shop:cool:

[​IMG]

10. MrWray

MrWray New Member

That is a beauty!!

11. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

Do you know what finish that is Hoss? There are about seven available.

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I may be wrong but it looks like their "Royal blue"

13. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Hoss

Can you give us the name of that finish? Royal Blue? Cost?

Thanks,

Tack

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's Colt's "Royal Blue" and for a complete 1911 will run you <$400 including shipping.

Worth it? What do you think?

Attached Files:

15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

That's most certainly a Royal Blue. I've had a Python sent back for that finish several years ago. Cost was in the $300 range and WELL worth the money in my opinion. I believe Colt has about a 6-month backlog right now though.

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think for a refinishing job that Colt would be the best choice and would add value to it in the future as being factory refinished. Colt would know more about refinishing it back to original than anyone else.

17. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Worth it?? Hell to the yes!

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yes on Royal Blue & hell yes to what MrWray said :D
    BTW Guys- That is NOT my Colt -----sadly :(

19. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

I would have to give her up for six months? Ouch. I'll have to call and see what the deal is and think about it. The cost definitely seems worth the results, although I was expecting closer to 250 plus shipping. I think the royal blue costs a premium though vice the regular blue. Definitely going to give them a call when I'm back in town.

20. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Worth it all day long!

With my original purchase cost that would give me a Royal Blue S80 for $819 plus shipping!

Pretty sure I could not touch a new colt in this finish for under 1200