1942 Winchester 94 30-30

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by ninjatoth, May 10, 2010.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I stand very close to inheriting this rifle from my dad.I looked up the serial number a few years ago and I believe it came back as a 1942.It is in very good condition(could stand a cleaning)and I had my father in law look at it and he said it looks like it was hardley ever shot,and indeed,it has been fired probably only 50 times since my father got it in 1963 when he was 14.I don't know the story on it between 1942 and 1963,but 1963-present it has just been sitting in my father's closet.I would never sell it,but I still want to know-what's it worth?

Attached Files:

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

What someone might pay! If you want it, and will keep it, do a search on Auction arms and gunbroker or have it appraised by a pro and take a rider on your insurance policy to cover it. Maybe a few bucks a year. I have rifles that are worth $50.00 that I would never sell because the were inherited and others that I bought that I really would not miss that much if times were tough.

3. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

You have a transitional carbine, in the most common caliber. I have bought and reasearched 94's for 40 plus years so have some knowledge of values. You can find many 94's built after @1940 in near mint shape. The reason is clear, the purchaser bought one like "dads" and hunted with it a time or two and discovered the world of scoped long range guns. Prior to this time scopes werent common and the 94 was a utility gun so earlier models in mint shape are hard to find. A friend bought a 1941 model in same condition this year in a gun show for $500. I have bought post wars in mint condition for $350. However ever region has its own pricing. And one additional question, is your barrel inscriptioned 30WCF or 30-30. To Winchester guys it isnt a 30-30 if it isnt inscribed as such.

4. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

It says "Model 94 30 WCF"

5. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Ok,my dad officially handed over the gun to me today.I took some better pics and have the serial number if anyone wants to help me find a year of manufacture and value if possible.It is 1,350,XXX.Not that I would ever sell it,I just want to know.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  6. NPD5946TSW

NPD5946TSW New Member

I don't know what it's worth, but it sure is pretty ;-) Hand me downs are the best to have, no matter the condition. But, it doesn't hurt to look that good!

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's a sweet Winchester. Enjoy it. :)

8. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

I actually do not own one (I do have a Marlin M-336), but I do know of any other rifle that is more classically beautiful than a Winchester M-94. That is one nice rifle, take good care of it and enjoy!

9. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I did a better serial number search and my gun was made mid 1945.I tried finding Winchester 94's online for sale and was surprized to see that mine was in better shape than most,but the 94's I did see from the 40's in as good of shape as mine were selling for $700+,so I am pretty pleased with it's possible value.It's not extremely rare,but I still prize it and will love to show it off.