Firearms Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, I recently bought this Winchester Model 12 for what I think is a pretty good price. It is from mid 1940 hence the serial number. I am curious what its worth. It looks to have a refinished stock. I can get more closer photos if you guys want to seem them to help determine the value. When I got it, I was going to clean it but it was VERY clean... No gunpowder in the barrel or breech. Who knows when the last time it was shot was before I got my hands on it. I did take it out to shoot yesterday though, and it shot great. Thank you all.
IMG_0196.JPG

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 1946 Winchester model 12. That bluing looks funny. More pictures please.
The funny thing is that the odd coloring only shows up in the sunlight. I am not a firearms expert, so I have no idea what it could be.

·
Premium Member
5,782 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,782 Posts
The brown is called patina and character, a good thing. It's probably where someone's hand usually wound up on it after a day's use.
I'm not up on shotgun values. I'd say $500+. How long is that barrel?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah ok. I didn't know if it was Patina or what. $500+ is a good thing since I picked it up for $300. It has a 30.5 inch barrel.

·
Premium Member
5,782 Posts
Ah ok. I didn't know if it was Patina or what. $500+ is a good thing since I picked it up for $300. It has a 30.5 inch barrel.
Pretty long barrel. Not an all purpose set up.

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Can't tell if someone's added a recoil pad or not. They didn't come with white line spacers. Check the buttplate to see if it's original. All in all, you have a nice hunting gun. Full choke and steel shot are not a good combination - just so you know. Those full-choke Model 12's are quite popular at our local "Meat Shoots" - paper targets where the tightest choke has a very real advantage. A $300 Model 12 around here is considered a good deal for the buyer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I also posted this on a Facebook group and someone said it was probably “restocked” at one point judging by the light wood and the glossy finish.
the recoil pad is definitely not original either. What do you think it’s worth all thins considered?

Can't tell if someone's added a recoil pad or not. They didn't come with white line spacers. Check the buttplate to see if it's original. All in all, you have a nice hunting gun. Full choke and steel shot are not a good combination - just so you know. Those full-choke Model 12's are quite popular at our local "Meat Shoots" - paper targets where the tightest choke has a very real advantage. A $300 Model 12 around here is considered a good deal for the buyer.

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
You still got a good deal. Not a steal, but they're a classic. Blue looks original to me - honest wear - no foul.When you're busting clays way out there where others a getting chips, you'll appreciate that full choke. I enjoy my Model 12 twenty-gauge very much after many years. One thing's for sure - they won't be making any new ones.

Great gun for the turkey woods just like it is. Resist the urge to re-blue or take steel wool to the metal. Forearm appears original and in good shape to me. I'd do a pattern test right off the bat if it were mine. Just sayin' - I've seen some patterns out of those old Model 12's that surprised me. One old man put rifle sights on his for meat shoots. Enjoy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You still got a good deal. Not a steal, but they're a classic. Blue looks original to me - honest wear - no foul.When you're busting clays way out there where others a getting chips, you'll appreciate that full choke. I enjoy my Model 12 twenty-gauge very much after many years. One thing's for sure - they won't be making any new ones.

Great gun for the turkey woods just like it is. Resist the urge to re-blue or take steel wool to the metal. Forearm appears original and in good shape to me. I'd do a pattern test right off the bat if it were mine. Just sayin' - I've seen some patterns out of those old Model 12's that surprised me. One old man put rifle sights on his for meat shoots. Enjoy.
Yes, it’s definitely a great gun. My father has his grandfathers from 1947, all original and in great condition. I took mine out yesterday and shot some trap with it and I may take it Turkey hunting next week- still haven’t decided which gun to take. 😉 So what do you mean a good deal? You think I could resell for $500 range or?

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
A good deal is a decent gun at a fair price. Different from trading parakeets where two folks trade for something of unknown value, firearms have places of value reference. BlueBook, Gunbroker, etc. where an estimated value may be obtained depending on how one wished to sell - in person, online, consignment, etc. "New Ib Box" - easy to do. "Used" - well, that's always a guess. I always look for the "sold for" price, not the "Current bid" nor "Buy it now" price.

Firearm markets run hot and cold, just like every other market. Some are seasonal, others hold pretty steady. With some exceptions, Winchesters hold value pretty well. Some models were stinkers but Model 12's are not, generally speaking, among the unwanted pile unless the particular gun is screwed up. Because so many were made, parts are easy to find - both used and "new old stock", but they aren't cheap. Also because parts are available there are more than a fewf"made up from parts" FAKES. Just like buying a used car/motorcycle/tractor/boat after awhile you get to know what to look for (and what to look out for). Shot-out bores, buggered up (or missing) screws, or something obviously "wrong" - nay-nay.

I'm guilty of buying too many "project" guns - clunkers with "promise". After more than 60 years of fooling with guns, one truth is evident - junk is always junk no matter how long you keep it. A gun is worth no more than someone's willing to pay for it, regardless of what someone else paid for one similar. Cash is always king.

Lastly - I enjoy knowing the history of each gun I acquire if possible. Many belonged to friends or family. Others made by gunsmiths more than a century ago. Part of the fun. Now go shoot that model 12 ! Have fun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A good deal is a decent gun at a fair price. Different from trading parakeets where two folks trade for something of unknown value, firearms have places of value reference. BlueBook, Gunbroker, etc. where an estimated value may be obtained depending on how one wished to sell - in person, online, consignment, etc. "New Ib Box" - easy to do. "Used" - well, that's always a guess. I always look for the "sold for" price, not the "Current bid" nor "Buy it now" price.

Firearm markets run hot and cold, just like every other market. Some are seasonal, others hold pretty steady. With some exceptions, Winchesters hold value pretty well. Some models were stinkers but Model 12's are not, generally speaking, among the unwanted pile unless the particular gun is screwed up. Because so many were made, parts are easy to find - both used and "new old stock", but they aren't cheap. Also because parts are available there are more than a fewf"made up from parts" FAKES. Just like buying a used car/motorcycle/tractor/boat after awhile you get to know what to look for (and what to look out for). Shot-out bores, buggered up (or missing) screws, or something obviously "wrong" - nay-nay.

I'm guilty of buying too many "project" guns - clunkers with "promise". After more than 60 years of fooling with guns, one truth is evident - junk is always junk no matter how long you keep it. A gun is worth no more than someone's willing to pay for it, regardless of what someone else paid for one similar. Cash is always king.

Lastly - I enjoy knowing the history of each gun I acquire if possible. Many belonged to friends or family. Others made by gunsmiths more than a century ago. Part of the fun. Now go shoot that model 12 ! Have fun.
WOW! Thank you so much for the long detailed paragraph. You have some very valid points in there that I never even considered. Most of my firearms belonged to friends and family as well and have sentimental value. I am eager to take this M12 Turkey hunting with me this next week and hopefully I will break some clays with it in the meantime. Thank you again!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts