1930's Sears and Roebuck 16ga Ranger

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by HighPlainsDrifter, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Well i am think of picking this up for an older gentlemen for $85, before so i thought i would run it by you fellas first to see what you think. The guy says its a 1930 is Sears and Roebuck ranger 16ga. I dont know much about it but man it looks nice and the fact that is a bolt action shotgun is just plain cool in my opinion. the guy said his dad bought it in the 30's for hunting small game. The guy got his first squirrel in 1948 with it. Now he just wants to get rid of it cause he is to old to go out hunting anymore and no one in the family wants it. So anyway tell me what you think.

Attached Files:

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It's worth the money. However, 16ga. shells can be hard to come by, so if you find some on sale, buy a bunch.

3. Chapman87

Chapman87 New Member

I work at a bass pro shops and we always have 16ga in stock.
    I have an old jc higgins 12ga bolt action and its a lot of fun, hurts tho. That 16ga should be nice to shoot.

4. Thanks for the posts fellas. Thats good to know bass pro shop carry's it there is one right down the road from me. Cheaper than dirt carry's 16ga ammo as well. Hopefully it all works out.

5. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

If you don't buy it, give me his number and I will. I'm a HUGE 16ga fan.

7. Will do. If he will go for transferring it.

8. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

$85 for a gun that looks to be in that good of shape? All day long and twice on Sundays.

That gun has a nice cool factor plus it is 16 gauge.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

IIRC, those were made by High Standard for Sears. There WAS a recall, but for the 12 g models.

There IS disagreement in forumland over the problem, but my best info is that at least one blew the bolt out on firing, injuring the shooter. Some folks claim it was a shooter that pulled bolt out, striking self in face, but Sears ponied up well over a million $$$ on that recall.

No fix- Sears bought the bolts back, rendering guns inoperable. The 16 and 20 had a greater thickness of metal on the part that retained the bolt when in firing position.

Personally, I like the bolt actions, I keep a couple of Mossberg bolt shotguns as loaners for young shooters. They are durable, reliable, and were the guns of the working man. Never had a dove complain that they were capped with a cheap shotgun!

10. Jake15

Jake15 New Member

Nice shotgun, my grandad had one just like it and I've had it for years, never shot it though and I just traded to my uncle for a TC muzzleloader. Only reason I did it was because he really wanted it and I'm gunna get it back eventually. Sorry, got off topic, just felt like sharing that, and now back to our regularly schedualed programing!

11. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I have an old Stevens 39A bolt in .410 that is a hoot to shoot once in a while. In fact, it is the first shotgun I ever shot as a very young boy. I happen to like the old bolt shottys.......................

Jim...........

12. Walley

Walley New Member

It would take me all of a half a second to decide to buy that gun at that price. In this area 16 gauges are coming back and there is no problem finding ammo. I just picked up a tube fed 410 bolt action and everyone and their brother is trying to buy it off me. I have one in 12 gauge and one in 20 just like that gun. They make wonderful slug guns for deer.

13. LYPNELSON

LYPNELSON New Member

AT THE GUN STORE I GO TO, THERE IS AN O/U 16 GA RANGER FOR SALE.
    IS THAT A GOOD SHOTGUN. IT'S SELLIN' FOR $269 OR SO BUT I COULD PROBABLY GET $30 OFF THAT PRICE.:confused::confused:

14. Im no expert on them by far but have seen them going for under a $100 everywhere i have looked. That seems kinda high to me.

15. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I haven't seen an o/u go for 100 bucks anywhere. I'd prolly take it for the 30 off if that was out the door.

16. Walley

Walley New Member

Any O/U, any gauge,make or condition, that you find for a hundred bucks buy and I will give you one-fifty for it and pay the shipping and transfer fees.

17. Yup thats my bad fellas i missed the o/u part. Sorry about that.

18. avordman

avordman New Member

I would buy it for $85 even if I never intended to shoot it - as long as it came with a magazine.

19. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

it's very very nice looking and at that price I would take it without a doubt, even if it were just to have and rarely shoot.