1917 Eddystone Sporter Revamp

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by CA357, Oct 12, 2010.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Maybe I'm just odd, but I love this rifle. I bought it cheap and shortened the stock, refinished it and threw some cold blue on the steel. It turns out to be an excellent shooter for a 92 year old rifle. It's got a 3-9x40 Nikon team Primos scope on it and it shoots more accurately then me.

So, I was shooting with mrm14 a couple of months back and he suggested a Huber trigger would be helpful. So, I bought one. But I got to thinking about updating the rifles appearance. So, I redid the steel with Brownell's Aluma Hyde II and refinished the stock with primer followed up by Krylon textured paint. It's starting to look entirely different at this point. Completed photos in post #37.

Here's a pic as it was after my original rehabbing and then some pics of the steel in process:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Man, I can see why you love it. It's a labor of love! Nice.

3. CA357

Some of the small parts and the stock with its new clothes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Highpower

Highpower New Member

That gun looks beautiful either way IMHO. Easy to see a great deal of care goes into your work CA.
    *** respect ***

5. CA357

Thanks HP, Lon, it's enjoyable for me. :)

I haven't adjusted the new trigger yet. I test fit it, but it will need adjusting to get it to break right.

6. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

So how does that trigger feel now? I know you have some more adjustment to do to it.

7. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

The old war dog is looking pretty good..

Jim..............

8. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Nice CA! You just can't leave anything alone, can you? :D

You're an artist, Sir!!

9. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Looking great! You did a hellova job there-anybody would be proud of it!

10. CA357

mrm14, I haven't fooled with the trigger yet. I installed it and then removed it to spray the steel bits. However, it would not fire as it came from the Huber folks. So it will need major adjustment.

11. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

Model of 1917

My son has a Winchester 1917 and someone had sporterized it. Did a good enough job on it but my son had to redo the stock to suit him. LOL Now he shoots it most of the time. Usually to outshoot me at targets. That is how accurate it is. I have a ERA 1917 and am in the process of making it into a 30-06 Ackley Imp. Can hardly wait to see if it will outshoot my son. LOL
    Sarge

12. CA357

Cool beans sarge. :cool:

13. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Nice work there.

14. CA357

Danke shoen. :cool:

15. chops

chops New Member

that eddy looks good don. cant wait to see how it shoots.

chad

16. CA357

Thanks Chad. I hope to have it out at Sac Valley the last weekend of the month.

17. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

Great, save the targets will you. I like to see them and I am sure the others do too.

By the way, can someone tell me how to post pictures on this forum? I have tried by no luck.
    Sarge

18. pirate

pirate New Member

I got an 03A3 that is about 2/3 of the way converted as a sporter. I got it a while back and just never got around to finishing it. I may have to restart the project, after seeing yours.

19. CA357

Go for it. I'd love to have an '03A3, sporter or not.

20. CA357

I finished the Eddystone a few minutes ago. I had some problems with the adjusting the match trigger, so I reinstalled the stock trigger for now. I'll either find a friend with the know-how to help me out or have a local smith do it for me.

I'm extremely pleased with it. It certainly doesn't look like it did and once the new trigger is installed and adjusted, it should be much sweeter to shoot.

It currently has a Nikon 3-9x40 scope on it and I'm thinking about going to a Nikon 4-12x40 to help out my old eyes for longer distances.

It's raining and getting dark, so I'll try and get some pictures taken and uploaded in a day or two. In the meantime, I'll try and get at least something posted.