1916 spanish mauser short rifle

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by angryhart, May 30, 2013.

1. angryhart

angryhart New Member

Anyone familiar with the 1916 short rifle accuracy wise? Just finished a restoration of one in 7x57 mauser. Reblued and refinished. Ironed out the dents. I put a lot of work into it. Just wondering what others experiences with one of these has been.

2. enfieldaddict

enfieldaddict New Member

Ik this is an old thread but since I'm the pony reply I hope its ok I bought one and I love it its one of the best mausers out there IMOHO

3. enfieldaddict

enfieldaddict New Member

My accuracy with mine is fantastic

4. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Picked mine up several years ago. It will shot minute of deer at 100+ yards all day long. On target, I can get about a 2 inch group at 100 yards with the battle sights on a good day.

5. enfieldaddict

enfieldaddict New Member

I need a couple parts for mine

6. xring3

xring3 Member

I have one in .308 that I need to restore. I think Samco still has some

7. enfieldaddict

enfieldaddict New Member

Numrich has what what i need just got to wait till payday

8. angryhart

angryhart New Member

When I got it mine needed parts too. Mag spring, sight protector, firing pin spring, and the extractor was nicked up, and the feed ramp liked to grab the tip of the bullet and misfeed.
    Got the springs from wolf gun springs. I just buffed the extractor and after some careful dremel work the feed ramp has no issues. I put maybe 50 rds thru it and it was 1/2 inch right at about 85 yds after drifting the front sight.

9. angryhart

angryhart New Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389875634.820034.jpg
    Not the best of pics but it's ok

10. angryhart

angryhart New Member

I heard the .308 ones were a mixed bag. Some are awesome some are terrible. I was tempted to get one in .308 but I had heard that there was a possibility of receivers not handling the pressures.

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have 2. I was given about 300 rds of 7 X 57 ammo. I had nothing to shoot it out of. I found a 1916 in excellent condition, all matching #'s and a nice bright bore. $75 out the door! Used Lyman die set - $15. I started "collecting" brass and bullets. Ended up with 500 + rds of ammo. I NEEDED another rifle. Buddy who owned an LGS ordered me one. $125. Every bit as nice as the first. When it came in, he threw in a Toledo made bayonet for free.

I love these little carbines. Light, handy, powerful, accurate, inexpensive.

12. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

To all who have one in ".308". They are not .308s they are 7.62 X 51 mm, and yes there is a difference. .308 is loaded to a higher pressure than 7.62 x 51. They are not the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62%C3%9751mm_NATO

Just trying to keep us all safe. The page does say that it is not considered unsafe, but you never know. For those of us who handload, load them a little light.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  13. robocop10mm

+1 on this controversial topic. Most of the converted rifles were 7 X 57. The Guardia Civil rifles were small ring Mauser actions rebarreled to 7.62 X 51.

The small ring Mauser is a good strong action, just not AS strong as the large ring action. All of the small ring actions predate WWII, some from 1893. Most of the Guardia Civil rifles started life (I believe) as 1916 short rifles so they are a "little" newer.

WTS, these are almost 100 years old and are being asked to do something they were never designed to do (shoot .308 ammo).

Will they blow up in your face the first time you shoot full power .308 through them? Almost assuredly not. You WILL put more stress on it and EVENTUALLY you will have an issue. Unfortunately, the first issue you may notice is when the bolt pierces your brain through your dominant eye socket.

14. angryhart

angryhart New Member

And we all lived happily ever after...

15. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I picked up a Spanish Mauser about 30 years ago for $20. It spent the next 20 years as a closet queen. Someone cut the stock down and bent the bolt handle. I took it to the range and test fired it just to see if was safe to shoot then put it back in the closet. About 5 years ago I found 3 boxes of Remington ammo at a yard sale @ $25 for all three. I then took it to the range to test it for accuracy. I ran 5 shots through it at 100 yds. I had no scope to see where it was hitting and couldn't see one hole in the target. When I went to retrieve the target, there were 5 holes in the 2 inch Bull. Surprised not only by its accuracy but also that it shoots better than I do. I found a cheap plastic stock and shot it again but it was all over the target. I put the Bubba stock back on it and regained the accuracy. I'm gonna accept the Bubba look and keep it for a loaner or a beater.

16. robocop10mm

The 1916 had a bent bolt handle already.

17. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

How long ago was this? I've been wanting one, but the only one I found for $125 (plus $40 for shipping and FFL fee) was an old beaten up sporterized one. I don't feel like paying that much for a sporterized one. I'd prefer one that was still in military dress.

18. robocop10mm

Oh jeez. 20+ years ago.

19. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Maybe that's why I can't find them for that price. :eek:

20. angryhart

angryhart New Member

Mine was $100 flat. Needed $30 worth of parts and a little bit of time. Not a great collectible but a fine example.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk