Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
I like guns....
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Revolver Air gun Trigger Ammunition Shotgun

I have a 1915 German luger in 9mm. It has some proof marks and looking to see what they mean. Just out of curiosity. Thank for any help..
Musical instrument Metal Cylinder Gun accessory Machine

Door Fixture Household hardware Nickel Gas

Tints and shades Font Auto part Metal Natural material

·
Registered
836 Posts

·
Premium Member
I carry a 9mm. Shield 1.0 or an S&W model 12-2. Mauser shooter & collector
11,297 Posts
The side plate should be numbered. The Luger seems to have a great deal of shine, more than my 1916 DWM. I've checked every proof mark on the internet and can't find that one. This Luger is beyond my pay grade. Keep us informed.

·
Premium Member
I like guns....
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crap, I picked the wrong time to post this.. I have a short trip coming up and I just a couple things I knew nothing about. Like using 115 gr? Lucky Pierre, please elaborate??... And, "Under the barrel, fer'instance. Usually reads 8,89 or similar. And the prefix letter - that IS part of the serial number, BTW. Front of the frame for that.".Tac, I know nothing about that... Local firearms dealer offered to me for what I considered very reasonable. So I bought it.. I don't believe it's 100% numbers, but most are there..

·
Premium Member
I like guns....
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not have time to take this firearm apart at this particular moment. I'm more then willing too. I just can't "now". "Work calls".. and gotta pay the bills.. But dang willing learn what to look for or how to disable and what to look for while doing it, in the meantime.. 😀😁..

·
Premium Member
I like guns....
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More concerns now that I'm zooming in on pictures... Metal looks blued from grinding to fit if ya asked me.. 😖

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,297 Posts
I'm too lazy to look for you but try here : The Luger Forum

there's a section of "markings" where you might find what you're looking for

and if you can't find it there, try posting your question(s) here :

by the way, if you're shooting your Luger I hope you're using WWB 115gr

good luck
I don't understand the 115 gr. WIN. W.B. My Luger has been in our family since 1960 and it's always had 124 gr. Rem. ball run through it. I shot it last spring, one magazine functioned flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Your mis-matched P.08 has been heavily refinished, to say the least, judging by the many rounded edges. The serial number letter in the underside of the barrel is almost invisible. No WW1 or 2 P.08 ever had such a high gloss finish. Also, the 'straw' plating is wearing off some parts - as this is a heat treatment, it fades over time, but does not wear like that.

For comparison, here is my 1918 DWM P.08 - please note the fade of the strawed parts...

Photograph Air gun Revolver Trigger Wood

The side plate should be numbered, and should every other part of the pistol, including the striker, with the last two digits. Most importantly, the frame has a different serial number to the barrel - 157? c? V. odd.

My friend, itsa bitsa.

The value has gone down like an anvil tied to another anvil.

As for shooting Winchester White Box 115gr, the general consensus among Luger shooters is that it is the best and kindest load for any of our old/VERY old pistols.

Ask Ron Woods, who has literally hundreds of 'em.

·
Registered
836 Posts
foley, er, tac, dang.....the reply in post # 12 is correct (ref the WWB 115gr ammo for shooting thru 9mm Lugers) - it's the consensus of the very large Luger community that it's the safest, most reliable brand/weight to use

I'm still suggesting that you head to the 2 referenced websites that I posted in post # 2 to get definitive answers to your questions.....better photos will help those folks and there's even an article on how to submit the needed photos in order to get the most help - those folks are Luger pros

·
Premium Member
11,297 Posts
foley, er, tac, dang.....the reply in post # 12 is correct (ref the WWB 115gr ammo for shooting thru 9mm Lugers) - it's the consensus of the very large Luger community that it's the safest, most reliable brand/weight to use

I'm still suggesting that you head to the 2 referenced websites that I posted in post # 2 to get definitive answers to your questions.....better photos will help those folks and there's even an article on how to submit the needed photos in order to get the most help - those folks are Luger pros
Odd since the Germans shot 124 gr ball. I have several boxes of the German stuff.

·
Premium Member
I like guns....
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your mis-matched P.08 has been heavily refinished, to say the least, judging by the many rounded edges. The serial number letter in the underside of the barrel is almost invisible. No WW1 or 2 P.08 ever had such a high gloss finish. Also, the 'straw' plating is wearing off some parts - as this is a heat treatment, it fades over time, but does not wear like that.

For comparison, here is my 1918 DWM P.08 - please note the fade of the strawed parts...

View attachment 261073

The side plate should be numbered, and should every other part of the pistol, including the striker, with the last two digits. Most importantly, the frame has a different serial number to the barrel - 157? c? V. odd.

My friend, itsa bitsa.

The value has gone down like an anvil tied to another anvil.

As for shooting Winchester White Box 115gr, the general consensus among Luger shooters is that it is the best and kindest load for any of our old/VERY old pistols.

Ask Ron Woods, who has literally hundreds of 'em.
I know its not 100% numbers matching, but its this the numbers your looking at? Not sure where the 157 is at...
Automotive lighting Drinkware Automotive tire Liquid Skyscraper
Revolver Automotive lighting Tool Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Look at the BOTTOM of this image - I can't manipulate it because my computer does not recognise your image format. The number I'm referring to is on the FRONT of the frame - at the BOTTOM of your image. The x means that there is a number there, but I can't read it, nor can I read the lower-case letter below it.
Automotive lighting Drinkware Automotive tire Liquid Skyscraper

·
Registered
STG-58
65 Posts
That is one pretty Luger! I have a 1916 DWM - without the beauty makeover. Mine's all matching - except the barrel (which I assume was shot out). I always wanted a Luger from back when I was just a kid. I have to shoot my guns, so buying a mis-matched gun was not any issue for me. In fact, it's what allows me to fully enjoy owning it.

The recommendation for the Winchester "white box" is simply because it's the most widely available ammunition to shoot in a collectable Luger that is least likely to cause any damage. Serious Luger collectors seem to fall in the small percentile of gun owners who do not choose to reload - at least that is my perception.

I post and remain a member of the "Luger Forum", but it's not a forum just for anyone. They cater to collecting and high-end Luger ownership. You can certainly join and participate - just know (and have done all of your homework) before you post there. Know that the members will obviously be able to tell and will respond accordingly, which not all people tend to do very well with. The "high-end Luger world" is a small club and probably one of the lest penetrable niches in the world of gun people. As such, I tread lightly and respectfully there and have no problems. I have seen less articulated souls enter badly and leave quickly, as it is their forum.

There's a lot you can do using carefully qualified Google searches that will pull the information you seek out from the deep confines of the Luger knowledge base without you ever having to enter. If your "Google-Foo" is sharp, you'll find everything you need to know not just about your Luger, but pretty much everything else as well.

Anyways, shoot that Luger all you can - because life is too short not to.

·
Premium Member
I like guns....
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is one pretty Luger! I have a 1916 DWM - without the beauty makeover. Mine's all matching - except the barrel (which I assume was shot out). I always wanted a Luger from back when I was just a kid. I have to shoot my guns, so buying a mis-matched gun was not any issue for me. In fact, it's what allows me to fully enjoy owning it.

The recommendation for the Winchester "white box" is simply because it's the most widely available ammunition to shoot in a collectable Luger that is least likely to cause any damage. Serious Luger collectors seem to fall in the small percentile of gun owners who do not choose to reload - at least that is my perception.

I post and remain a member of the "Luger Forum", but it's not a forum just for anyone. They cater to collecting and high-end Luger ownership. You can certainly join and participate - just know (and have done all of your homework) before you post there. Know that the members will obviously be able to tell and will respond accordingly, which not all people tend to do very well with. The "high-end Luger world" is a small club and probably one of the lest penetrable niches in the world of gun people. As such, I tread lightly and respectfully there and have no problems. I have seen less articulated souls enter badly and leave quickly, as it is their forum.

There's a lot you can do using carefully qualified Google searches that will pull the information you seek out from the deep confines of the Luger knowledge base without you ever having to enter. If your "Google-Foo" is sharp, you'll find everything you need to know not just about your Luger, but pretty much everything else as well.

Anyways, shoot that Luger all you can - because life is too short not to.
I purchased it to shoot it.. Someday.. At least that's my plan...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts