1911's

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by getem2011, Sep 3, 2011.

1. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

I want a semi auto 1911 22lr for a couple of reasons...size,style,planking and the fact I would like to eventually purchase a 1911 in .45.

If anyone can please find a semi auto 1911 and post the link I would appreciate it. And if one 1911 22lr beats another in your mind please speak up!

I do have other prospects tho, compare and contrast if you all could and what specific model would be best. Also I want to shy away from those with major FTF's and FTE's problems.

S&W MP22
    Walther p22
    Sig mosquito
    some type of 1911

All other suggestions are welcome!!!

And if ONE person can CLEARLY break down the differences between DA, semi auto, and SA/DA I would appreciate it.
    thanks ya'll

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  2. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

goto: Bud's Gunshop
    search: handguns > ATI or GSG or .22 1911

OR

goto: Google
    search: Colt Service Model ACE

OR

goto: Gooogle
    search: 1911 .22 conversion

You will have plenty of ideas after doing so.

eta: example of planking
    [​IMG]
    example of plinking
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011

3. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

^^^^^^thats funny right there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

5. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

So after doing research I have come to the conclusion it is nearly impossible for me to get a 1911 due to Illinois "melting point laws".

(720 ILCS 5/24‑3)
    "(h) While holding any license as a dealer, importer,
    manufacturer or pawnbroker under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, manufactures, sells or delivers to any unlicensed person a handgun having a barrel, slide, frame or receiver which is a die casting of zinc alloy or any other nonhomogeneous metal which will melt or deform at a temperature of less than 800 degrees Fahrenheit. For purposes of this paragraph, (1) "firearm" is defined as in the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act; and (2) "handgun" is defined as a firearm designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and includes a combination of parts from which such a firearm can be assembled. "

can be referenced at http://www.ilga.gov/...=072000050K24-3

This is very disappointing as I was looking forward to my first handgun purchase....now I will have to keep looking.

6. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

? "it is nearly impossible for me to get a 1911" ?

I did 10 years time in IL and bought, sold, traded, shipped, ordered & received dozens and dozens of weapons during that time and have never heard of *melt laws* from anyone...ever.

A Colt Service Model ACE is not made of zinc, I can assure you.
    The Colt or Marvel conversion units are not zinc either.
    I don't know about the GSG/ATI as I've not owned one.

7. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

@Neilage66

I wish that was to be true but all 1911's I have found say not available to IL residents. sometime I had to call and ask but it would end up being the same outcome.
    PLEASE HELP and find me a 1911 22 that I can purchase!!

Kind regards,
    Kevin

8. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Look at the price on this one.
    I paid $750 for one just like it 10 years ago.
    Colt ACE, 22LR, service model, excellent condition : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Here is what I would get or build myself.
    MARVEL UNIT 2 w/Custom RIA Lower 22LR - MINT : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Or buy a lower like this.
    COLT SERIES '80 SS COMPLETE Lower - Near MINT : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

...and add a conversion like this.
    Marvel Precision Unit 2 Goverment Round Top Model : for 1911 at GunBroker.com

You get the idea.

FWIW: A couple of the GSG's at Bud's say *no sale to IL*, but a couple of other GSG's say no such thing. I still think you could order one and save some money. Have you specifically called Bud's Gunshop and asked?