1911's in Police Agencies

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by parinoid54, Oct 10, 2011.

1. parinoid54

parinoid54 New Member

What police agencies are you aware of that issue/carry .45 ACP 1911's, be they local, county, state, or outer space? (Those poor slobs carrying 9mm need not reveal their shame.) If you know of an agency, do you know what brand they are carrying?

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

The sheriff dept that i worked for didnt issue them to anyone, the issued weapon is the G22. I used my personal G31,but if you qualified with a 1911 then you could carry it.

3. rock185

rock185 Member

Maricopa County, Gila County, Payson P.D., and I believe Coconino County, all in Arizona. I suspect most Sheriff's Offices in Arizona approve some version of the 1911 for their deputies.

4. fisher79

fisher79 New Member

Austin tx swat carries sig 1911's

5. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

6. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

The san Jose police chief carried a Wilson 1911 for a while, which automatically meant that was legal for carry. Don't know what the current chief packs.

7. vincent

vincent New Member

Local Sheriffs here just switched over from 1911's to G....??? The model number escapes me...357 sig...dammit...I'll think of it as soon as I hit submit! They said a lot of the guys/gals didn't like carrying "cocked and locked" Seems silly to me but no accounting for taste.

8. vincent

vincent New Member

9. thefactor69

thefactor69 New Member

With the exception of a couple of agencies most are .40S&W Glock or Sig. If its a .45 it's probably a Glock as well. Special tactics units are given more flexibility on duty options. The issue is mostly being comfortable carrying cocked and locked.

10. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

The main problem is the unfortunate impression citizens get when they see somebody carrying a cocked gun in their holster.

11. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

I don't think the average citizen is going to even notice a cocked weapon in a holster, and know what they are seeing. anyone who sees it and knows what they are seeing, is also going to know that a 1911 is single action only and therefor HAS to be carried that way.

I'm surprised that there are that many agencies out there still using 1911s, figured most of them felt that a single action, cocked weapon was too unsafe to carry, especially in an altercation where the weapon is NOT drawn, yet people are resisting, struggling, wrestling with the officer.

Plus, I'd personally rather carry 12-14 rounds of .40 instead of 8-10 rounds of .45, but I'm sure that's a personal preference debate that will NEVER be resolved! (there's always that one guy who says they'd rather carry a .22 because one well aimed shot of .22 is more lethal than a bunch of poorly aimed shots of "X" caliber)

12. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

There are wide body 1911's available that hold 14 rounds of .45 in standard (flush) magazines. They also have models that hold 16 rounds of .40.

13. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

yea, I've seen them, I thought those were marketed mostly for competition shooters who trick them out.

Guess not!

14. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

A lot of major police agencies issue 1911's to their SWAT teams and Special Squads LAPD uses Kimber Custom 2 & Kimber Classics 1911's

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

16. hawkman1

hawkman1 New Member

Elk River Police Department in Minnesota carries kimber.

17. parinoid54

parinoid54 New Member

Don't stray off of the reservation. My question was about .45s in a 1911. Those who would carry the bastard child of the 10mm, the 40 S&W, are fine in their want-to-be realm...but I only ask for those dept's who carry the 45 ACP.

Why? Because in discussions around the camp fire/firing range/bar counter/jail cells, its great "ammo" to be able to say that "this police agency - that police agency - another police agency" is intelligent enough to carry the 45 in a 1911.

Keep em coming!

18. Police Administrators -

are not really cops or gun handlers, much. Most don't know much about guns, other than anytime an officer or agent uses one, there are lawyers attracted.

Administrators hate training. To them, training is wasted time, as the officers/agents involved are not 'working'. And it's money down the toilet. Not that any will admit that in public.

There are also too many officers/agents who have no prior experience with firearms and are afraid of guns to some degree - let alone one that seems to be ready to fire (by itself, perhaps?) at any time.

With that mentality, it is a wonder any agency at all allows a cocked and locked pistol for duty.

Let's face it, a Government Model is a firearm for one who takes carrying a handgun seriously.

19. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

One time at band camp....

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

20. ... or perhaps just faulty potty training?