1911's also shoot underwater

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Dearhunter, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Seems the 1911 will shoot under water, but what a cleaning this gun will need. Has anyone tried this.

Copy of image.jpeg

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I've never had the need to attempt such a thing.

I'm just wondering what it proves?
    Everybody knows the 1911 platform performs.

3. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

Yea, but it's hard to get good groupings. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Why would you do that??

5. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Why would you stand in water and shoot? That is so dangerous, it is possible the bullet could come back and hit you due to the water changing it's path!?

6. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

I'm pretty sure a lot of guns shoot under water... not just Glocks or 1911's.. lol

But.. that pic is badass!!!!

7. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

That's awesome! Wish I had the balls to do it. Try it with a hi point :)

8. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

Water reduces the velocity of the bullet so quickly it will not even reach the other side of the pool.

Not saying it isn't safe to do, nor smart either.

9. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The day of the boating accident I was attacked by a herd of renegade sea monkeys. I put up a valiant effort but they where able t overpower me. They got my carry 1911 :(

10. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

I hate it when that happens.

11. hq357

hq357 New Member

I dont ever see the need for that unless i was a law enforcement officer chasing a bad guy and we ended up in a pond or pool and we wrestled in the water and he pulled a knife, but then again id probably have my knife too ;)

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Almost all modern guns will shoot underwater at least once. It seems the last time I said those exact words, c3 chimed in with a whole damn list of guns specifically designed to shoot underwater reliably and regularly.

The photo is from a man's photo journal of jewelry and sculptures and what nots, doo dads, and geegaws that he makes from expanded hollow point ammo that he fires under water (one single shot at a time) to get the fullest and most symmetrical expansion.

There's a video and picture article here on FTF of him using different guns and calibers, and of the different things he makes from the expended ammo.