Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by cottorone, Nov 30, 2012.

1. cottorone

cottorone New Member

Ok I'm new to this post but I really wanna get a 1911. I was thinking of either a Springfield or a Remington. What do you guys think?

2. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

Either way, you are good to go. I'd take the springer as they have a great CS reputation. Get the mil-spec if you go springer. I really like the finish on the r1 though.

3. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

Both are good choices however I would lean towards the Springfield

4. cottorone

cottorone New Member

Not to sound silly but is there a difference in parkerized or stainless.

5. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

Yes. Stainless does not require a rust preventative as it will not rust easily. The 4100 steel (not stainless) needs to be parkerized, blued or coated to prevent rust. BTW, welcome to the forum!

6. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Yes there is a major difference. A parked finish is an applied finish like painting. SS is SS steel polished to a high gloss.

Parked.
    [​IMG]

SS
    [​IMG]

7. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

Springfield ALL day. You will not be disappointed in a nice Springfield.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

OMG-------

If you can swing it get the Springer-
    If not the Remmie will certainly be a good choice too ---

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Parkerizing is a method of building up a crystaline structure on the surface of the metal through using a phosphoric acid bath. It is kind of a controlled rusting / chemical reaction. The crystaline structure then works to trap oil and hold it on the metal to protect it.

Stainless steel is a different alloy than carbon steel.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Get the Springer. (Or a Colt) [​IMG]

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have owned several Springfield 1911's over the years and have not had any complaints with their function, quality or durability. they are top notch 1911's IMO. i currently have a SA Micro Compact 45 that is my most expensive 1911 to date and can say honestly, it is worth every dollar spent in buying it! pure pleasure to shoot, has functioned beautifullly with all ammo put through it, and pretty dang accurate for a short 3" barreled pistol. i highly recommend the Springfield 1911's.

i bought a Remington R1 Enhanced earlier this year. very pleased with it so far. excellent fit an finish, very accurate, handles all ammo i have put through it and shoots great. i have owned many Remington firearms over the years, but it's the first Remington pistol i have ever owned. i am very pleased with it and have no regrets in buying it. as said an excellent pistol. the only downside i see with the R1 is they use the Colt Series 80 type system. so any mods would require the Series 80 parts to make changes to the firing system. now mine shoots great as is, so it is quite possible that i will probably never make any changes to the firing system, unless it develops a problem. currently the only changes i have made are more personal and cosmetic. grips, grip screws, mag release, and better quality magazines.

these are my personal opinions on both of these 1911's and hope they help you make a decision in your choice. IMO, i don't think you will go wrong with whichever one you decide upon. and in Cane's opinion, i would also suggesst checking out Colt as well. there are a few of the Colt 1911's in the same price range as the Remington R1 Enhanced and a few of the SA 1911's that should be considered as well. i will say this, you can never go wrong with the Colt 1911.

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I think many don't concider Colt because most assume the Colt just cost more-Thanks for pointing that out :cool:

13. Axxe55

i will say this, every Colt i have ever owned or have looked at, IMO was worth the asking price. they are just that good.

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

No argument here :cool:

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Colt's are bargain basement compared to Kimber. (In price ONLY)

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thats a fact---Plus Colt has more than a one year warranty :)

17. Axxe55

Kimber makes some really nice looking 1911's. a few i would not mine having, but until their prices come down, warranty period goes up and better CS, i highly doubt i will buy one. there are just too many others with a better price, longer warranty and better CS that will get my business instead.

18. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

Go with the Springfield........nothing wrong with the Remington, Im just biased against firing pin blocks.

19. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

COLT!

Why buy anything else as your first.
    ??

20. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Let's just say the there is not a Kimber in my safe.