Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by lilnoug, May 1, 2012.

1. lilnoug

lilnoug New Member

I'm looking to get a 1911. There's a colt government xse in stainless steel. They've been hard to come by so I'm trying to decide if I should purchase . Anyone familiar with colt 1911. What are your takes as far as quality?

2. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Just curious, how much?

But to your question, I'm really quite surprised to see someone asking that. You shouldn't hesitate in the slightest to buy a Colt.

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Nothing wrong with Colt. I understand that there are periods in the history of the company where QC was problematic at times. I have heard that current production is as good as ever.

4. lilnoug

lilnoug New Member

$1,090 at a local gun shop. Seen it cheaper online but no one seems to ever have it in stock.

5. kdog

kdog Member

What I have heard is, that the Series 70 from Colt is supposed to be one of the better series.

A lovely pistol, but flipping expencive in the US.

6. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Does seem a tad high, but still worth it, especially if the local gun shop is one that believes in service after the sale. That makes paying them a little more than what it costs on line. Actually, last time I priced one was a year or so ago, so that may not be high now.

I have the XSE Commander & I don't think you'll be disappointed in the full size either. The first time I field stripped it, I learned that I was not a fan of the full length guide rod, so changed it out to a standard one. It & the grips are the only things I have changed on mine. I did dab a little "Bright Sights" paint on the front sight so these old eyes could pick it up easier. :)