Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by jjintx, Nov 29, 2011.

1. jjintx

jjintx New Member

I'm getting ready to purchase a 1911 and am leaning towards Springfield does anyone have any experience with them or suggestions?

2. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

I used to have a kimber and a springfield and ended up selling the springfield. The kimber was a better shooter in my opinion. Seemed like it was just better with tighter tolerances and better quality materials and parts

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I have the Springfield Mil-Spec 1911A1 and highly recommend it. Springfield makes some very fine handguns especially 1911's. I rank Springfield just behind Colt regarding their 1911's.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

had a kimber and sold it kept the springfield it was a better shooter more reliable than the kimber :)

altho my pref is for colts, springfields are made on actual colt equipment and are made to milspec tolerances. the steel is higher quality than used by kimber with fewer mim parts than kimber uses. colt uses the least.

i too put springfield a half step behind colt only because they use a few less machined parts than colt.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  5. jjintx

jjintx New Member

What caliber would you recommend. I've seen it in 9 40 and 45

6. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I would recommend getting it in .45ACP, because it's the classic caliber for the 1911. However, I strongly recommend what caliber fits the bill; what you think you can handle and is what you're looking for.

7. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I have a Springer Loaded, real nice shooter. Can't complain.

8. shadamai

shadamai New Member

I have a Springfield (.45) and I have been happy with it. As far as calibers go, I would recommend trying out different calibers if you can. I went to the range and rented different types of guns for weeks before I decided what I wanted. I personally didn't like the .40s I tried, but did like the .45 and 9mm. But it is all about what is best for you, not about what other people like. Buy a caliber you can shoot well; it is your life that might depend on it someday.

9. wjkuleck

wjkuleck Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

My custom pistolsmith friend has switched from S, Inc. to Ruger's SR1911 for his base gun for custom builds.

So have I.

Regards,

Walt

10. jjintx

jjintx New Member

The reason for the caliber question is I've realized that same models in different calibers sometimes tend to react differently ie ftf or fte

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Caliber alone has nothing to do failures if the firearm is properly set up for it.

Get the best 1911 you can afford, and the best magazines you can afford.

Each brand has their dedicated "followers". If you peruse the 1911 section, you will find that Springfield, Kimber, Colt, Dan Wesson are mentioned a lot. Para Ordnance is mentioned little. That should give an indication of what brands are considered the best and those that people seem to shy away from.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have shot and owned several in the past and just recently bought another one to add to the collection. i like the SA 1911's, as they are well made and accurate pistols. have never had any problems with mine except with cast bullets, hard to chamber, as the chamber on mine was a little tight. but jacketed HP ammo or fmj, never a problem.