Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by SmokeyCDT, Sep 26, 2011.

1. SmokeyCDT

SmokeyCDT New Member

So after this weekend at the range and shooting my guns I finally have figured out what my favorite is. and that would be the 1911 I have two right now one is a SA and the other is a Kimber. Now I am looking at saving and buying a new one around the 1st of the year. I am thinking about a Colt or a Nighthawk custom. What do you guys think?

2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I think you've got good taste. But the Colt vs Nighthawk is a big difference between the two. If you can afford a Nighthawk, then I'd mark the Colt off the list and start considering options like Ed Brown, Les Baer, and even Fusion.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Just one word: (And it's not a girl's name!)

Attached Files:

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

C'mon Cane! We all know you're a Colt man, but you can't really believe that Colt is in the same league as Nighthawk and other customs right? It's comments like that one that will make people think you're one step closing to senile! :D

5. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

[​IMG]

hehehe come back cane?

6. SmokeyCDT

SmokeyCDT New Member

This would be a big purchase for me. I would have to save for a few months to buy one. So it's a hard choice for me.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Not getting into a Chevy vs Ford argument.

I convinced my wife to let me buy a new firearm on my birthday. You could probably do the same. Buy one this year, and the other next.

The only down part is I now have to convince my wife that I am actually 107 years old. ;)

8. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If you've got the discipline to save up for a high end custom 1911, then that's what I would recommend. You've already got two production 1911s and it sounds like you've got enough trigger time to appreciate the subtle details of a custom 1911. I'd say save up and have yourself a fully custom 1911 that you can hand down for generations.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I think you're comparing apples to oranges. :eek:

You can get 3....well 2 1/2 Colts for your average Nighthawk. :eek:

PM JD and ask him how much he needed to to mortgage for his kit: :p

[​IMG]

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

I can easily afford a custom made 1911. I cchose colt over nighthawk les baer and a few others.

Why??

cuz colt offered one (series 70) with the features i like and none of the ones i dont. Owned a les baer a while back didnt find that great. I could have one made but why bother when the colt i have now is rock solid deadly accurate and functions perfectly has everything i want in a 1911.

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Nighthawk makes a nice pistol, just not my style. If I've got over $2K in my pocket, I'm going to see Les Baer or possibly Volkmann for my pistol. But I can't seem to get the gun budget up that high before spending it on one or two other guns. I've got a revolver itch right now that is causing problems with increasing my 1911 collection.

12. SmokeyCDT

SmokeyCDT New Member

I know what you mean it will take a lot for me to save that much. There are a few cheaper pistols that I still want.

13. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

I have a nighthawk and a wilson. They are almost the same gun. Guys at nighthawk came from wilson. With that said, I absolutly love my wilson cqb compact. The nighthawks will run you more coin. Be ready for a 6 month wait for both companies.

Attached Files:

14. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

What you could do is buy a lesser expensive 1911 of your choice and upgrade it to be to your liking:)

15. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Thats what i did, i bought a HS 1911A1 and had it upgraded with all Ed Brown parts "except for the hammer and sear, they are cylinder and slide" i would put it against a colt or SA any day of the week

16. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I know a guy that looks for worn out Colts that he can buy really cheap. Sends them to Wilson to be rebuilt & mods installed. Ends up having about the same $$$ in it as if he'd bought a new one. But, it's one just like he wants it & tuned to the nth degree!

17. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

To each his own. I will stick with my Rock Islands.;):D