Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Tinob, May 15, 2011.

1. Tinob

Tinob New Member

I'm thinking of buying a 1911, what's everybody's opinion on a kimber ultra carry II

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The handgun itself is okay, but it (like other 1911's) requires some experience on the user's part.

I've held them, I've shot them, I just don't have one.

3. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I don't have the ultra but my Kimber TLE has been totally reliable and is super accurate. I have a review here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f76/kimber-america-kimber-stainless-tle-ii-41042/

Also, I have a 3" Colt Defender which is the same "size" as the Kimber ultra. It has been relaible as well but not as accurate as my 5" models. If I do my job I can make 3" to 4" groups with it at 14 yards. I will warn you that the recoil of the lightweight Defender is much snappier than the all steel 5" models, especially with +P loads.

4. Shags5

Shags5 New Member

I haven't shot one but I've heard that it is a good buy. I own a SW1911PD and have had no issues with it...I am thinking of selling it if you're interested...I don't WANT to get rid of it, I just wan't to buy a P226 and have to sell the 1911 in order to afford the SIG. Let me know if you are interested or not. I have 4 different holsters that will go with it and the original rosewood grips(currently has black rubber for better grip)...

5. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Kimber Ultra Carry II

I have two. One has a ramped barrel the other does not. I personally like the one that does not. It takes anything I feed it. The other is picky about ammo and only likes one brand. So I'm 50/50 in the like department. All in all though, they are both excellent guns. Good luck in your purchase.

6. HAVEGUN

HAVEGUN New Member

I have a Ultra Crimson Carry II. It is a better gun than I am a shooter.

Being a short barrel it does have more muzzle flip than I like, but with practice, that is not a problem.

It is my EDC, love it to bits.

7. nhsuper44

nhsuper44 New Member

I have an ultra carry 2 ,and it is a nice 1911 for it's size. Mine has been bulletproof so far, you will not be disappointed. Terry.

8. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I've got 2 Kimbers, a TLE PRO II and an Raptor Ultra II.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Be ready to spend $200-250 of break-in ammo, though. The manual states 400-500 rounds for break-in with cleanings after each 100-150 rounds. After $1000 for a gun (at least the Raptor was...) I'm not going to cheap out on breaking it in appropriately.

I wouldn't start with an ultra, though. I'd consider getting a Pro or Custom first, then add an Ultra to your family. Just MHO, though.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Remember, the shorter the slide, the sooner the recoil spring should be changed.

10. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

True, I change the springs in my Defender every 750 rounds.
    I figure the springs are cheap, the frame not so much.

11. Tinob

Tinob New Member

Thanks guys. My plan is get the kimber ultra raptor

12. katsumushi

katsumushi New Member

I have the Ultra in stainless with the night sights.
    Right out of the case it shot well and no problems.
    Very accurate.
    Love it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  13. Wambli

Wambli Member

I bought two of the first UltraCarrie's that came out of Kimber. I foolishly sold one a couple of years back but both, the one I sold and the one I still have ahave been 100% performers even with target SWC ammo. The gun is a delight to carry and so accurate my wife uses it as her primary IDPA gun and she scores very well with it. My buddy has the Crimso Trace version and he loves his!!!

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Excellent point Dan, those new to 1911's should know that the reliability JMB built into the design is dependent on the weight of the full length slide providing enough energy to chamber the next round. This is reduced with compact's and sub compact versions of the system and must be compensated for with stiffer springs changed as recommended.

TACK

15. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

Now that I got the "bugs" out of my Kimbers, they are excellent shooters. Kimber's customer service is second to none. Make sure you fire a few boxes of your expensive carry ammunition to make sure you have no FTF and/or FTE problems. They can sometimes be choosy with certain JHP ammunition.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  16. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I have found that the Hornady XTP's bullet profile works quite well in my TLE II

17. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

My Kimbers eat Winchester Rangers (230gr JHP) perfectly.