Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by 1911beast, Apr 24, 2011.

1. 1911beast

1911beast New Member

whats better a rock island armory 1911 or a american classic 1911

2. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I've never had the pleasure of being acquainted with a RIA. I purchased the AMII a while back and LOVE it. The only issue, and you WILL have this issue if you buy an American Classic, is that they have a feed issue. I fixed mine by using Tripp Research Cobra Mags (I think, I've only run 6 mags through it since getting a Tripp mag). Others say it's a problem with the mag release.

If you are willing to spend the extra effort to straighten out the feed issue when you get it, an American Classic is a hell of a deal for the features you get standard on them.

Again I haven't touched a RIA so I can't compare them for you. Here's a couple of links about the American Classics. The first link IIRC has some brief comparison of the RIA and AC.

American Classic Commander

My New American Classic II

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I've had both. Citadel (Armscor-made, same as a RIA) and I currently have an American Classic Commander. The Citadel had a very poor, thin finish. It was prone to developing a film of rust. It wouldn't feed a single round of hollowpoint ammo, no matter the make. The front sight would come loose after about 50 rounds and would drift from side to side. You could here it sliding if you shook the pistol. I sold the gun after owning it for a few months.

I just bought the American Classic a few weeks ago. First time shooting, the mag that came with the gun wouldn't hold more than 2 rounds before the follower bound up. When using different mags, the mag catch would cant the rounds downward and they would hit the frame way below the bottom of the feed ramp. It wouldn't feed a single round using 3 different, good quality mags. The gun is currently at a warranty center for the issue.

Wish I had better things to say, but I've had problems with both right out of the box.

4. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Save up a little more and start looking at Springfield, or Remington, or even Taurus. You'll be much happier.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Words to heed.

6. rab

rab New Member

RIA Rules!!!!!

I have a 1911-A1. No problems. Natural pointer. Finish is a little thin. Love it!!

mina1.jpg

7. misterballistic

misterballistic New Member

Don't forget Ruger has just come out with its own Made in the USA 1911, modeled after the Series 70, and decked out in stainless with a beavertail, Novak sights, skeletonized hammer, and adjustable trigger...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There were 2 Philippine 1911 makers.
    One was S.A.M. (they supplied Charles Daly and a few others.)
    The other is ARMSCOR.
    I tried to google SAM with no success, so I think they may have gone out of business.
    ARMSCOR and RIA are the same, and my guess is that if the American Classic is of Philipppine manufacture, then it too would be coming from ARMSCOR.

Heed the advice of others and save for a Springfield. I have one I bought over 20 years ago, and it will still shoot better than some newer ones.

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

American Classics are definitely not made by Armscor.

10. danf_fl

That is why I said "...my guess is the if the American Classic is of Philippine manufacture..."

I do not know who Eagle Imports gets them from.

Any ideas?

11. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

When is that being released? Any word on the MSRP?

12. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Sorry I'm confused, everything I've come up with on Google says that Metroarms IS the manufacturer. Is there a reason to believe that they are having them made by someone else?

13. danf_fl

I was wrong.

My search started me at Eagle Imports, then to Metro Arms of the Philippines.

My mistake.

14. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I don't know about the American Classic but I own 2 RIA. I have never had one problem with them. I have the GI and the Compact. I had a Kimber Ultra carry and I prefered the RIA. Call me crazy. I hate to see when someone has a problem with their RIA.

Take it for what its worth, because I also love my Sigma.

Here is a short video of the RIA compact with a stock 7 round mag, being shot by a 13 year old girl. No issues.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5BtOVYC6Sc]YouTube - LillyRIA.3GP[/ame]

15. freefall

freefall New Member

I have a Charles Daly, Phillipine made. It's not the nicest pistol I own but has never malfunctioned.

16. misterballistic

misterballistic New Member

MSRP is $799 on Ruger's site, but estimated street price is about $699 and it has nice features. It's like a poor man's National Cup.

It's already out and getting some good reviews.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAZ5EYxpl2o]YouTube - Ruger SR1911[/ame]

If it lives up to its hype then it can be serious competition for other 1911 makers.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011