Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Ray_Ray, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Ray_Ray

Ray_Ray New Member

Of all the 1911, which one would you prefer, and why?

2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Don't wanna sound Like a snob, but 3 of the 4 1911's I have are Colt(s). (a Combat Commander & 2 GC's). That being said there are a lot of options now. I'm wavering Between a RIA, Metro Arms, and the Taurus for My next 1911 which will be in 9MM., since I don't shoot 45ACP anymore...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

3. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Which ever one I have the money for at the time.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

There are many good ones out there. Much of the decision making process will come down to what you intend to use it for and who makes a version that fits your needs. For me I like a forged frame and slide, however there are some decent guns that use well made cast frames and extruded slides (RIA, Metro Arms, Armscor, Caspian, etc.)

My two current 1911s are a Springfield Armory that was a collection of parts, with some missing when I bought it. I was able to build it back the way I wanted it. The frame and slide are forged, at military forging facility, then machined and finished here in the US on that particular model. I built it to be a very spartan, practical pistol, much of the inspiratin for the build came form the older MEU (SOC) 1911s before they went the MARSOC route.

So, They are kind of like Legos to me, I don't care about the individual manufacturers as much as the basic specifications of the base pistol.

My other 1911 is a Fusion slide, frame, and barrel that I bought to build as a pistol for service pistol matches, so it had to be in a configuration that fit with the rules. The frame, slide, barrel, and bushig were all fitted at Fusion to be match tight. This is the most accurate centerfire autoloader I own.

Dan Wesson (CZ USA) has a bobtailed commander sized pistol that I would like to get my hands on, for carry.

5. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Forgot to mention Springfield's Range Officer, which is also made in 9MM now as well! Thanks for reminding me SSGN DOC!!

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

6. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

to me, I like the remmington and sig, both very well built and tight. Also the colt to.

7. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

For me, Rock Island Armory hands down! I loved my 9x19mm RIA 1911!! I had a Taurus, it did put a bit of a bad taste in my mouth until I discovered Taurus had a bad batch of extractors, right now we've got a Taurus PT1911 Duotone in layaway in .45ACP, gonna buy another RIA and it will be in 9x19mm again.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Okay, if you are talking about money is no object, then Ed Brown.

To understand, you would have to take an Ed Brown and a Colt together to a range session.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

it all depends on how much a person has to spend.

even some of the less expensive brands and models of 1911's are great pistols fr the money.

of the best all around brand, i might have to say Springield Armory.

10. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

I'm a colt fan personally.

11. Ray_Ray

Ray_Ray New Member

I like the colt as well. And friend and I are having a debate, he says get a Kimber, I told him no colt is better. Just getting some opinions, thanks guys keep'em coming.

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Look at warranties of Colt vs Kimber.
    Kimber, well known for their advertisements in magazines, has a 1 year limited warranty.

Other models have lifetime limited. If I were putting out some hard earned cash, I would want the most "bang for the buck" (pun intended).

Read through the threads and you will see where others have had problems with the Kimber. Rust on the barrel, bad customer service, etc... But there are other who have had no problems.

If you are getting a 1911, remember that any 1911 is a thinking person's handgun. To properly handle one displays you as someone who is trained and knowledgeable. Should you improperly handle one, it will also show the world what kind of idiot you can be.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

70 series Gold Cup-

14. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

1911's are like pizza...some are better than others, but I've never had a bad one. I have two Kimbers and a Springfield and I like them all. I am going to buy another soon, and I am going to try another flavor but I don't know which yet....probably the next one that catches my attention and is available at a price I can live with

15. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Yea this is like a Ford vs Chevy debate. It''s really to each his own. I had a Kimber TLE/RL and it wasn't dependable. I expected a lot more for what it cost (like $1000 back in the day when I got it) Now, I will say that 6 years later I got pissed off and called Kimber about the sheer volume of FTF and they told me that I had a model from a year when they attempted to use external extractors. They knew it was a problem and offered to replace the slide with a new internal model. That was nice, and the lady I spoke with in customer service was very polite and helpful. However, I think that what Kimber was in the beginning was a great custom 1911 maker. Then they got big and kept charging custom prices for assembly line produced products. I don't mind paying good money for a fine firearm, but I just wasn't willing to carry a Kimber that had a calculated failure rate of 4.2%. That's about 4.19% to much for me. I currently have a Sig STX and a 1944 Remington Rand. Neither have ever been fired. And I'm not a collector, I shoot my guns. Just haven't had the time to go shoot the STX, and well, I guess I am a collector on the Remington Rand because I don't plan on shooting it. When I bought the STX, I had made up my mind to just get a Remington R1.....and then I saw the STX in the display calling to me.......

16. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

my new flavor...Scorpion...medium, commander sized and I am absolutely loving it....note to self...never go so long without buying a new gun! Just like pizza!

Attached Files:

17. vincent

vincent New Member

Under 1K...($850...ish)

S&W E Series...

Attached Files:

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There are a lot of good 1911's out there but probably 99% of them would not last 1 hour on a muddy battle field. They are too tight. The old GI 1911's were loose for a reason and it was not lack of good machinists. Kind of like the AK of handguns. Great for civilian use where they are kept clean and lubed. Now they are the AR of handguns.
    Note: I am not a fan of AK's.

19. This is one of the Internet memes that gets repeated ad nauseam because it sounds like it should be true.

It's not. Larger spaces just let in larger pieces of dirt.

Here's a link to a review of a Bob Marvel defense gun, in use in the Middle East.

Bob does not build loose guns - Bob's guns are tight, including his defense pistols. The gun works just fine in battle conditions. Give "the gun has to rattle to be reliable" a rest - it's just not true.

20. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

For what? SD? Bullseye? IPSC? Gee Whiz use?
    Horses for courses.
    My Trophy Match is a great pistol for bowling pins, but it's not my first choice for carry. My DW CCO is a great carry pistol, but it wouldn't be my first choice for match use.

In a world with so many really excellent choices, much will boil down to budget and personal preference. Some brands are better than others, but you have to wander fairly far off the beaten path to make a truly bad choice these days. Even the Philippine guns are pretty darned good, especially considering their price point. As you move up the price scale, you are primarily paying for finish quality, features and attention to detail. I love my Dan Wessons, but it is really hard to find fault with a Rock Island Tactical. Much of what constitutes "better" vs. "merely OK" comes down to hair splitting.