1911 vs XD40

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by jimogden1984, Mar 18, 2012.

1. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Here's the deal, I currently carry a springfield champion 1911. I like the gun and am fairly accurate with it. I have a good friend who has an XD40 who might want to trade. I like the looks of the xd but haven't been able to shoot it yet. I'm just wondering what you guys thought about the XD40 and if it might be a better carry gun than the 1911. I do like the idea of the grip and trigger safety vs a grip and manual thumb safety in a possible high stress situation. My friend doesn't carry, if we were to trade it would be a bedside gun for him.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2012
  2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Let me begin by saying I'm a bit biased when it comes to the 1911. Second, the XD is a fine pistol. And finally, I abhor the 40 S&W.

Assuming your Springer is chambered in 45 and is a Commander length all-steel 1911 (I have not shot a Champion and obviously not very knowledgeable of them.) I think you are carrying one of the best carry pistol options available to the shooting public.

There will be two big and remarkable changes when you go with the XD40.
    1. The shift from the slim 1911 receiver to a poly double-stack will make it tough to adapt to it's bulk.
    2. The felt recoil of the 40 Short & Weak, or as I call it, the 10mm Lite is going to be much snappier (read: not fun) in the poly frame XD.

The Springer must be worth more than the XD so i hope you get the gun + $.

This is your choice and the decision you make is your's to own but IMHO, once you experience the 1911 you rarely go back.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

3. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Youre dead on with my springer, all steel, .45, and it is commander length

4. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

I love my xd40. That being said, keep your 1911. Shoot your friends xd. If you like it, save up and buy one. Dont trade off a 1911 to get it. I love my xd 40 and i love the 40 s&w caliber! In fact, i currently own 4 guns in that caliber. I prefer the 40 for home defence, concealed carry, truck gun, and also my plinkers. Its my favorite caliber and i shoot several thousands of rounds of it a year. But i also love my 1911 and the 45 acp too.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I don't think I could go from this to an XD.

[​IMG]

6. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

I couldnt either. But i COULD buy an xd to keep it company...

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

+ 1 ryguy00 but mine would be chambered in 9mm.

8. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I wish I could afford both. I might have to just save up. That's easier said than done, I like to shoot a lot and .45s ain't cheap

9. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

What is it you like about the 9mm over the 40?

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Doubt many here are poorer than me :(
    BUT-----
    NEITHER are in .40 tho :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  12. JonM

JonM Moderator

Not a good trade. Im in agreement with canebrake on the caliber issue. 45acp has better control than a 40 which is pretty much 9mm anyway. Ive never understood the reason for 40sw. If you want a 10mm get a real 10mm and learn to shoot it.

I wouldnt trade off the 1911 its worth more than the xd. Better to save a little and just add an xdm to the lineup than trade off a really nice 1911

If your not going 45acp or 10mm stick with the 9mm.

I think the xdm guns shoot better than 1911s im much faster and on target better for multiple shots with with my xdm 45acp than i am with any of my 1911s. Ive been shooting 1911s for over 20 years. I like em and use one for ccw on occasion when i need more discrete carry than my xdm.

I just think the xdm is a better defensive gun. I shoot my wife's xdm 9mm and that 19+1 capacity is verrrrrry tempting

13. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Is the xdm,worth the extra money over the xd?

14. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I own a XD40SC & a DW CCO. Both lighter than the guns you mention.
    The XD40SC is a pretty good pistol, accurate & reliable. I find the XD40SC to be work to shoot. Not horrible, but not fun. Since it was one of my carry guns, I made it a point to practice with it fairly often. It was always nice to move on to the next pistol.
    The CCO on the other hand is actually enjoyable to shoot. I went and used it in a pin match, and did nearly as well as I do with my Trophy Match.

My point? In my experience, a small 1911 .45 is easier to shoot well than a small polymer .40.
    Make sure you take the opportunity to try the XD side by side with the one you have now.

15. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Several pretty big differences between these two guns:
    1. All steel 1911 weighs a lot more than the XD40. So you will feel a lot more recoil on the XD.
    2. XD is a double stack mag, so your round count will be a lot more than the 1911, something like 13 rounds in the XD vs. 7 in the 1911. (Not sure of these counts, but they're pretty close.)
    3. XD double stack mag has a thicker grip than the 1911 single stack. Grip will feel quite a bit different.
    Recommend that you try it before you buy it. Also do some research to get the right round counts for comparison.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

to me it is mainly because the grip is better to me than the xd grip. in some models the xdm has better capacity. its mainly a lot of little things that add up to a better ergonomic gun. best way is to rent both a xdm and xd n the same caliber shoot both see what ya like. the differences is mainly personal taste.

i never got a xd because it just didnt feel right. the xdm for me was big enough difference