1911 vs glock vs 9mm

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by trevor_atkinson, Jan 1, 2013.

1. trevor_atkinson

trevor_atkinson New Member

pick your favorite include model and specifics and why you think yours is the best gun!! ready...GO!!!

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I could not decide, so I have a G17 and a RIA Tactical 1911 9mm.

9mm is the least expensive center fire pistol to shoot if you are not a reloader.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would take the 1911 over the Glock.
    But What 9mm? There are two I favor.
    H&K PSP P7 and the FNH Hi-Power

4. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Any 1911? Or perhaps a 2011?

I would take an STI Tactical 5.0 in 9mm with the 17 or 20 round magazine..

[​IMG]

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Except for the 9mm part being tossed in there for sum reason we've been over & over & over this :(

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I thought it was interesting that two platforms (both of which have 9mm) AND a 9mm caliber were compared.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I find that redundant but ya'll have at it ;)

8. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I don't see the point. I've made my choice and its the best gun for ME. I could care less if someone disagrees. I see no need to justify my decision just for someone to agree or disagree.

9. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Colt gold cup. Nuff said. I just bought a glock (I hate most things about it). Now about the 9mm part. I don't own a 9mm. But I do plan on buying one because the ammo is cheaper.

10. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

Agreed:What I have suits my needs and as one of my shooting buddies pointed out one day at the range I am more than proficient with what I have.

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I like 1911s in .45 for target shooting. I like Glocks for general fun shooting, back packing, carry, IDPA type shooting, and have models in 9mm and .45. 9mm is my prefered caliber because it is inexpensive to practice with, (before the gun panic madness dried supplies up), which make it a round I am more confident in getting hits with. I also really like Beretta and Sig handguns as well. I also really like .22s for small game hunting, back packing, and target shooting.

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Odd this to that comparison but I'll play...

The 1911 is undeniably, to me, the greatest platform for a semi auto hands down, and a quality version cannot be beat, but to me neither can a Glock, any Glock, every Glock. Now many will say they don't point well and I can't speak to that, but I can say how reliable they are and that is an invaluable trait in semi autos especially.

That said, I refuse to use my Glock for anything other than plinking because of a lack of manual safety. And with that key thing in mind it's ruled out as a defensive tool to me, thus inapplicable.

That brings up a question as to what you intend this gun to be... defense? Carry or home? Just as a plinking gun?

For plinking:
    1. Glock in 9mm (most reliable)
    2. 1911 in 9mm

9mm ammo is cheaper.

For Home defense:
    1. 1911 45acp
    2. 1911 in 9mm

I prefer a large caliber for home defense.

For CCW:
    1. Micro 1911 in 9mm (Sig p938)

45acp just requires too large a gun to carry for me and the right round with the right spot placement is all I need to get the job done.

13. trevor_atkinson

ok then why did you even comment on this

14. trevor_atkinson

couldn't agree more great break down man!!!

15. orangello

orangello New Member

I was kinda confused by that as well.

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I fail to see the point in:
    9mm v 45
    223 v 308
    1911 v glock
    sa v da
    etc, etc.

If you are competent and comfortable with it, it's the right choice for you.

And it's probably not the right choice for me.

These types of discussions are simply a statement of "my choice is better than your choice." (Or my old man can whup your old man)

And that is childish.

17. trevor_atkinson

Ok I'm not trying to change options just hear what people think....

18. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Ah the good ole days! Lol

19. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Good for you Trevor! There are many that do tho, and the old timerz on these forums are very used to and sick of such. I know, I contributed greatly to the plethora of pissing matches myself.

20. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay. I guess the weekly thread on this subject just finally got old, and I may have over-reacted a bit. If so, my bad.

Like BTB said, the old timers here have seen several hundred of these.