Firearms Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am puzzled by the design of the 1911 "solid" (no space to rear) trigger. I had assumed the original Browning had it that way to make it less likely to become fowled in combat conditions. The modern 1911 seem to have odd looking cut-outs from this design, perhaps to reduce weight. Why not just a typical trigger with space on both sides?

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
I am puzzled by the design of the 1911 "solid" (no space to rear) trigger. I had assumed the original Browning had it that way to make it less likely to become fowled in combat conditions. The modern 1911 seem to have odd looking cut-outs from this design, perhaps to reduce weight. Why not just a typical trigger with space on both sides?
The 1911 trigger is a slide trigger rather than a hinge or moment arm trigger.

I found this photo of a Sig and some trigger mods:

And this is what's referred to as a skeletonized trigger Sig on left & 1911.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
reply to canebrake

very interesting -- are there sensitivity or reliability considerations that would cause one to prefer a slide trigger to a hinge trigger? Is the slide trigger used elsewhere than on the 1911 these days?

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
very interesting -- are there sensitivity or reliability considerations that would cause one to prefer a slide trigger to a hinge trigger? Is the slide trigger used elsewhere than on the 1911 these days?
Just the common sense of the simplicity of a 1890's design from the brilliant inventor, JMB
which defies improvement.

Plus the "If it ain't invented here it ain't worth $hit" syndrome employed by the manufacturers create the complexity and headaches in today's firearms.

Oh yea, don't forget the gubbmint safety nazis' requirements.

Notice the shape of the trigger bow? It's the outline of the 1911 mag tube! Rather than having a single connecting rod transfer the finger energy posing a torque twist potential the bow transfers the power rearward in two parallel (and supported) paths to the sear.

Nice, huh? Browning, what a guy!

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
Just the common sense of the simplicity of a 1890's design from the brilliant inventor, JMB
which defies improvement.

Nice, huh? Browning, what a guy!
John Moses Browning For The WIN!!!!

And for you MMA guys - JMB by armbar! :rolleyes:

JD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts