1911 trigger design

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Uncle Tom, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Uncle Tom

Uncle Tom New Member

I am puzzled by the design of the 1911 "solid" (no space to rear) trigger. I had assumed the original Browning had it that way to make it less likely to become fowled in combat conditions. The modern 1911 seem to have odd looking cut-outs from this design, perhaps to reduce weight. Why not just a typical trigger with space on both sides?

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The 1911 trigger is a slide trigger rather than a hinge or moment arm trigger.

[​IMG]

I found this photo of a Sig and some trigger mods:

[​IMG]

And this is what's referred to as a skeletonized trigger Sig on left & 1911.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009

3. Uncle Tom

Uncle Tom New Member

reply to canebrake

very interesting -- are there sensitivity or reliability considerations that would cause one to prefer a slide trigger to a hinge trigger? Is the slide trigger used elsewhere than on the 1911 these days?

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Just the common sense of the simplicity of a 1890's design from the brilliant inventor, JMB [​IMG] which defies improvement.

Plus the "If it ain't invented here it ain't worth $hit" syndrome employed by the manufacturers create the complexity and headaches in today's firearms.

Oh yea, don't forget the gubbmint safety nazis' requirements.

Notice the shape of the trigger bow? It's the outline of the 1911 mag tube! Rather than having a single connecting rod transfer the finger energy posing a torque twist potential the bow transfers the power rearward in two parallel (and supported) paths to the sear.

Nice, huh? Browning, what a guy! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

John Moses Browning For The WIN!!!!

And for you MMA guys - JMB by armbar! :rolleyes:

JD