1911 spits brass at face. It hurts.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by designer12, Oct 29, 2008.

1. designer12

designer12 New Member

I know nothing about gunsmithing. I have a 1911 that has a nasty tendency to eject casings back at my face. It's not a problem with safety glasses, but I wouldn't want to fire it without them. Is this problem correctable through gunsmithing?

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

It's correctable through proper shooting. Quit limp wristing it, that's what causes that to happen. Find someone that knows how to shoot a 1911 and have them teach you how to hold it.

You might also Google Mossad Ayoob and search through some of his article concerning 1911 ergonomics. He has a few really good ones out there that explain how to hold a 1911 for the best control.

3. matt g

Here is a start: http://www.gunthorp.com/how to shoot a handgun.htm

Pay attention to the "traditional 1911 grip" and use it. The butt of your left hand should rest up inside the cave created by your right thumb being on the safety. You left thumb should rest on the slide release.

There are other articles that go into greater depth. Take a look at them when you get a chance.

4. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

I had never heard of anyone saying what Matt had so I did a search and he could be right or the original answer I was going to give you could be right "Which was your extractor and or ejector needs to be tuned"

My Colt Combat Commander did the exact same thing and a trip to a good Smith fixed it period .

You can even fix it yourself if it needs adjusting .

Do a web search for "1911 erratic ejection" and it will pull up several articles on it and how to make the adjustment yourself .

5. matt g

My Kimber does the same thing to people who don't know how to hold it, as does every other 1911 I've ever seen.

When I fire my Kimber, the brass ejects at almost a 90º angle to the ejection port. When my wife fires it, it spits them back inline with the slide. Same gun, same loads, different shooters and different postures.

6. designer12

designer12 New Member

I don't think I have been limp wristing it, but I will try again and see if I have. I also read the article and realize that my stance and grip are incorrect.

Thanks.

7. designer12

designer12 New Member

I will try what Matt said and see if that works. If not, I will see about using a gunsmith. Thanks.

8. matt g

Who's 1911 is it? Is it a "cheapie" or a tuned gun?

9. designer12

designer12 New Member

Colt, series '70. Never been fired until about a year ago.

10. matt g

You may or may not have extractor issues. Is it an internal or external extractor? How many rounds through it?

11. designer12

designer12 New Member

I'm honestly not even sure what that means, and if I did I don't have the gun anywhere nearby to verify that.

It probably has less than 100rds through it.

12. matt g

External:

[​IMG]

Internal:

[​IMG]

13. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

Find any actual Colt 1911 with an external extractor and it will probably be worth 6 figures + .

14. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

If that's your PHOTO, it suggests that you're LEFT HANDED. "If" this is true, learn to shoot right handed, or learn to tilt the pistol slightly "clock-wise" to about 1:00. Do not limp wrist.

15. matt g

I slept through that part.

Kimber is mine, the other was stolen from the web.

16. designer12

designer12 New Member

The extractor is internal.