1911 sights

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by 50caliber, Dec 21, 2013.

1. 50caliber

50caliber New Member

What are some of the best sights to get for a 1911?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

3. 50caliber

50caliber New Member

Everyday carry preferably night sight capable

4. 50caliber

50caliber New Member

replacing standard sights

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Is the current front sight staked or a dovetail mount?

Got a picture handy?

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

best is subjective. what works for me, might not be as well suited for you and your needs or your eyes.

depends on what you have and what you are trying to acheive in changing them.

7. 50caliber

50caliber New Member

It's dovetailed and no I don't unfortunately, but to be specific it's a smith and Wesson 1911 here's what it looks like but this isn't my actual one. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1387663290.344457.jpg

8. 50caliber

50caliber New Member

I understand that point I was meaning in a overall picked type I'm not beeing picky.

9. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

First thing I would try is a dab of fishing jig point on the front sight and a case of ammo down range. If not satisfied, swap the front sight with a fiber optic of the type I linked earlier.

But shoot the gun a lot before you change anything.

By the way, those are Novak cut sights.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Some sights can diminish the accuracy potential, while others can enhance it.

Bull's-eye shooting is different than "combat" and, as such, different sights are used.

Define what you want by identifying what is not. Break the gun in (take along some friends, too) and as you are shooting, try other guns for the sights. You will find what you want or think you need.

11. 50caliber

50caliber New Member

Are tritium sights worth the money?
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1387665633.712612.jpg

12. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have a couple of handguns with Tritiums, they look cool in low light conditions. Not worth the cost for a daylight outdoor range. Indoor range they could be helpful.

A dab of fluorescent jig head paint is a mighty effective front sight enhancer, you can scratch it off if you don't like it. Please give it a try first.

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Changing sights are not as easy as it appears. It's not like you can use a hammer and a drift punch to change the sights properly. Sights need to be pressed on. Well you can beat them it is a free country. Your sights will look like they have been beat when you are finished.

14. 50caliber

50caliber New Member

I would have a gunsmith properly out them on

15. 50caliber

50caliber New Member

I will try this first thank you for the tip it'll be a great money saver.

16. Axxe55

actually they can be removed and replaced without damage if you are careful. i have done quite a few of my own without damaging them. this is the last one i did. had to remove them for bead blasting.

Attached Files:

17. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I think I paid $4.95 or so for a 2 ounce bottle. Jig head paint is made to stand up to bouncing off rocks on the bottom of lakes. Ever see the teeth on a Northern Pike?

18. Axxe55

bright colored fingernail polish works pretty good too. pretty stout stuff.

19. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

For night shooting I do think Tritium is worthwhile. I like Trijicon, and prefer having the front sight a different color than the rear, or having a dot on front over a bar on the rear, like the Heine straight 8 sights, but those may require extra slide cuts.

20. 50caliber

50caliber New Member

I like these sights this gun is my everyday gun concealed carry and as my daily secondary sidearm as a police officer.