1911 scope mount

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by gadrooning, Sep 21, 2009.

1. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Ok I am sure someone has brought this up already. I've got a 460 rowland on a Kimber Custom 2. Great gun for close up medium size game. However i would like to extend my shooting range for hunting purposes. Does anyone know of a way to mount a scope on a 1911 without tapping into the slide or frame, but still be able to accept the battering of the 460?

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Let me get this straight, you want to mount a scope without actually attaching it to the weapon?? A semi automatic handgun is hardly the platform for a scope although I'm sure someone has tried. Go get a 44 mag or a 460 S&W and bolt a scope to the top. Keep the 460 Rowland for the range and things up close.

3. David26

David26 New Member

didnt even know anyone to hunt with a 1911

4. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

I've seen scope mounts like the b-square scope mounts for the 1911. You are suppose to be able to mount it to the slide and it would basically dual purpose the slide stop as a place to mount the elevated scope mount. I've hear mixed reviews mostly for the worse. I was hoping there was another way than this. Believe me I don't want to put holes in my gun especially on the 1911, but I would like to get consistant shots up to 100 yards with the rowland.

5. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

6. spittinfire

How do they compensate for the additional weight on the slide?

7. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

8. mr1911

mr1911 New Member

I've seen a lot of scope mounted 1911s over the years, mostly competition, but some for hunting also.

I saw a deer taken with a commander loaded with +P hollow points at about 25 yds.

If you go to Brownells or Midway they have frame mount scope mounts that keep the scope off the slide and allow for propper brass ejection, however you'll have to look for a specialty holster for it, I have seen a few people modify holsters to make them fit.

9. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

thank you mr1911 it is on my way from brownells

10. mr1911

mr1911 New Member

Glad to help, have fun, and show us some pics when you get it set up and go hunting with it!

11. spittinfire

WOW!! I'm learning.... Seems like a very weak way to mount a scope though.