1911? Reliable?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by DickTheNickhead, Apr 23, 2013.

1. DickTheNickhead

DickTheNickhead New Member

Hey y'all, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.
    I own a few pistols but looking into getting my first 1911.
    First and foremost I want something extremely reliable...

I've heard that to get a 1911 that is EXTREMELY reliable, you may spend upwards of $2500. Is this true or is it just gun myth?

I want something that is EXTREMELY reliable but won't break the bank. I wouldn't be willing to spend more than $1200.
    Is it possible to get something extremely reliable for this price?
    I'm sure $1200 will get me a great 1911, but would it match up to the reliability of other pistols like Glock, etc?

No, I'm not a Glock fan boy. Just giving you an idea of the reliability I'm after.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

You can get extremely reliable 1911's for well under $2500. Sig Sauer, Kimber, Colt, Smith & Wesson, are all very good and reliable and well under the $2500 mark.

3. DickTheNickhead

I just don't understand the difference between a $2500 1911 and $1000 1911.
    Same platform.
    What the heck could possibly be the big difference?

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Fit and finish. A high end gun has many custom fitted parts that give better tolerances to the finished product. In my opinion a $1,000 gun is more than adequate for most people.

5. DickTheNickhead

Could you elaborate?
    Sorry, I'm new to all of this...
    Custom fitted parts?
    The 1911 platform would mean try all have the same parts, right?
    You're just dying that the individual parts for better?
    I'm confused.
    I get the "finish" part.
    I've tried to do research but I couldn't find much...

6. okieboy

okieboy New Member

The fit means there's no slop in the gun. There's a right frame to slide fit. It makes the gun super accurate. Most 1911 can be picked up and shaken and you hear a rattling. The tight fit ones don't. But if you want a reliable 1911 you need something that's broken in. My Remington R1 had two fail to feed in the first 50 rounds but that's the mags. Whatever you choose get better mags like McCormick, Wilson, etc. Ever since the break in I haven't had a malfunction since.

7. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

You don't need to spend anywhere near that much to get an extremely reliable 1911. Many members here shoot Rock Island Armory, or American Classic 1911s. They cost anywhere from $400-$550, and are still extremely reliable.

As for the $2500 1911s, they are just build to tighter tolerances. All 1911s are basically the same, but some are just built to near perfection. There's not really much a difference in reliability, the real difference is in performance, accuracy, and fit/finish.
    As said before, a 1911 under $1000 is usually fine for most people. The people who buy the $2500 1911s are usually involved in competition, or are really into 1911s and want the best that they can afford.

If your just looking for a gun for the range, or even for self defense, there is no real need to spend for then $1000. There are PLENTY of extremely good 1911s for less than that.

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

With a custom gun the shop does not simply assemble the parts to get a gun that works, almost every surface is polished and machined for an exact fit...frame, barrel, slide, trigger, barrel bushing, etc are fitted together. Certain mods are often made to round off sharp edges (carry melt) improve purchases, adjust trigger uptake and reduce trigger weight. All of this extra craftsmanship takes many hours by a master gunsmith which accounts for most of the added cost.

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

What he said^^^

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'd like to meet the person who fed you this line of bull **** so I could beat their stupid lying ***. Springfield milspec can be found for $600 or so if you're lucky, still under $700 if you're not. I've INDUCED three failures purposely to see what it would take. It won't choke under anything resembling normal shooting conditions. Want a gun that can be frozen and then buried in salty sandy gooey mud and then be shot after merely shaking it? Well, how often do you intend to bury your gun under the Arctic ice caps? **** that stupid ****.

11. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

+1 on Rock Island. They're not pretty but they are very reliable. If you do have a problem they have a lifetime warranty and some of the best cs in the business. And no they don't rattle when you shake them.:D

12. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I'll try to address your concerns.

As others have already said, you can buy a reliable 1911 for well under $1000. You just want to buy from a company that stands behind their products and offers a great warranty just as extra insurance in case the gun you get has some bugs. The factory can have the bugs worked out for you.

As far as the difference between $1200 guns and $2500, the difference is both small and large. There are lots of small differences that make up a large difference if that makes sense. Things like higher quality forged steel parts versus cheaper cast or MIM parts. Just looking you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. But one is more expensive to produce than the other.

Also, guns under $1000 are mass produced. A guy takes one part from a box full of the same parts and assembles a gun with all these parts. They'll still make a very nice gun. But there are tolerances and variations in the machining of all of these parts. The $2500 guns are produced in much smaller quantities because a guy takes a part from a box and then spend hours fitting and polishing and mating the part with the other parts of the gun. It's the attention to detail that you're paying the extra money for.

13. urquidez

urquidez New Member

Buy a rock island 1911 they are good for the money i have on for my everyday carry ...hheres a pic is the tactical cs model .45 acp

Attached Files:

14. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

Lots of reliable 1911s under $1200. Rock Island is a solid gun for the money, STI is another and the list goes on. The 1911 platform can be purchaseed in other calibers and sizes too. I have a mil spec 5" and a commander 4" and neither cost me more than $500.

15. GLI45

GLI45 New Member

If you want a reliable 1911 for $1200 take a look at the STI Trojan. Tight fit, very smooth, excellent trigger, and VERY accurate. The boys down in Texas make some mighty fine 1911s. STI built their reputation on making high end competition pistols and their quality standards extend throughout their lineup.

Among my STI pistols are two Trojans and they are excellent. You will be hard pressed to find a finer 1911 at that price point. I shoot my 9mm Trojan in competition and it performs beautifully. With the exception of their entry level Spartan model (also a solid pistol for around $650) all their guns are made from start to hand fitted finish in Georgetown, TX.

http://www.stiguns.com/

16. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

For the Glock Vs. 1911 perspective:
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/1911-reliability-88843/

The model 1911 design has proven itself to be reliable through service with the US Armed forces much of the last century. The US Marines just ordered a buttload of new Colt 1911 Railguns for use with their more specialized units. I think it's safe to say the 1911 is sufficiently reliable.
    The finicky 1911 is a myth that started when people got to "improving" the good old GI models. Some were better at it than others. Tightening the frame to slide fit, tightened barrel bushings and feeding them SWC ammo improved accuracy, but didn't do reliability any favors. Now that's not to say that one can't build a good (reliable) match grade 1911, it just takes a lot of development to get everything working right. See: Colt Gold Cup. Modern builders have gotten quite proficient at making match grade pistols that will eat anything. Additionally, much of this filtered down to the "non-match" 1911s as well. They will eat most ammo while being surprisingly tight and accurate.
    Nowadays? It's a rare modern 1911 that won't simply just work right out of the box with most ammo. My only reliability issues have been my fault (Iffy OAL reloads) or the result of crappy magazines.
    Note: as barrel lengths get shorter, things get trickier. Itty Bitty 1911s can be reliable, but it requires a competent builder.

17. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

High end guns like Ed Brown or Nighthawk are hand fitted, hand polished, and the parts are made for that frame.

18. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I have a American Classic 1911 that is very reliable, I think I paid $625 for it.

Attached Files:

19. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have an old (about 1983) Springfield Parkerized that has proven itself reliable with over 15,000 round through it.

The only time it gave any problems are:
    Bad reloads on my part,
    Worn magazines, and
    When I was learning the 1911, my kitchen table maintenance or upgrades.

20. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Guns don't keep getting built for over a hundred years, with very little modifications, unless they are reliable. Unreliable guns go the way of the 1907 Dreyse.