1911 reliability

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by niteglock, Apr 15, 2013.

1. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Are 1911's as reliable as a glock? Not just comparing them two guns like everyone does but I just want to know if having only one .45 firearm in 1911 platform is good enough. I used to have an Hk usp45 but sold it. Was thinking about getting either a sig p220 or a glock21/30.

I currently have a Remington R1 Enhanced. That's my only 45.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

No. The exposed hammer design opens them up to getting sand and grit internalized in the areas where the hammer, trigger, and trigger springs are located.

I put a 1911 through it's paces in some mud and sand. It took more abuse than I thought, but it definitely didn't like getting dirty with the hammer back and the safety on. Glock 17 and 19 chugged right along.

3. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Thank you doc.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I cannot say with certainty, that is why I own both. Make sure the bases are covered. :D

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There are different levels of reliability.
    If not abused, almost any firearm is reliable (to a degree).

If abused, almost firearm will fail. You just have to know the weak areas.

I've had good luck with the 1911 (so has the US military). No, I don't own a Glock. Why?
    I could not get any configured to be "comfortable" for my shooting style.

6. jyo

jyo New Member

Comparing a 100+ year old design to a much more modern design is not really fair---but to answer your question, generally, I would have to say no---but 1911s can be quite reliable---I've shot several that just refused to choke---but I come from a time when this was not always so. When Glocks first came out, I was managing a very large retail gunstore---the experienced shooters (myself included) mostly didn't care for the early Glocks---but this feeling changed as many learned one thing about Glocks---they worked! And thirty years ago, this was not the case with many pistols. I, personally don't own any Glocks, but I've found a place in my inventory for several poly-framed HKs, a couple of Walthers and three Kahrs. In 45 cal, I went with the HK 45C and for concealment, a Kahr P45.

7. Donn

Donn Active Member

+1, Apples and oranges. Out of the box? Glock. After rounds down range and maybe a little work, the 1911 shines. My 1911 will run all day long, now. That said, it's 40+ years old, had the feed ramp polished and has had thousands of rounds thru it. In most cases, (emphasis on MOST), a 1911 has to be "run in." Glocks don't.

8. Olympus

Olympus New Member

It all depends on the conditions you're carrying in. Any gun should not be assumed reliable out of the box, that includes Glock. You need to put several hundred rounds through the gun first. In normal shooting and carrying conditions, all of my 1911s are just as reliable as a Glock.

9. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

I have a Glock and a 1911. I love the 1911 and have a lot of fun shooting it, but it does jam from time to time. I have never had my glock jam.

10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The 1911 is the pistol I trust my personal protection. That is confidence in reliability. The most frequent problems I see with 1911 is the shooter not holding it like he loves it. They do not like a limp wrist.

I am old and set in my ways, and although I understand that the Glocks are fine hand guns, I just can't stand the thought of buying a plastic gun. I understand steel and wood.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm still waiting for the stinking "like" button on the mobile app, but consider this post well liked.

12. SSGN_Doc

I'll add that I carry a Glock sometimes. I also carry 1911s sometimes.

As I said the 1911 will take a lot more than I thought it would, just not quite as much as the Glock, in the way if some pretty extreme exposure to dirt or mud. In my normal carry situations the gun I carry isn't going to be exposed to those extremes, and I would bet on my Glocks or my 1911s to perform when called upon, if needed.

I also make it a point to maintain my carry guns to ensure they will be ready if needed. In those conditions both are capable.

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

The 1911s of WW2 could take more abuse then modern 1911s. The inside and it's machanisms were more loose which helped with objects being trapped inside the gun. If you do not believe me, try shaking the older 1911s, lots of rattling.

14. SSGN_Doc

That doesn't keep grit in the leaf spring area from causing problems, or from wedging between teh hammer and frame/slide or getting in the trigger tracks.

Those were ultimately the vulnerable areas that turned out to be problems when i decided to put my 1911 to the test. It wasn't the slide to frame fit, or the barrel bushing fit that cause any of the reliability issues. A well made 1911 can have a good fit and still be reliable, but the design does allow dirt to get into places that would jam any gun.

Again they are reliable, to a point. If you don't abuse it, or take care of it after abuse it will be fine.

15. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Under what circumstances?
    Are we talking extreme, awful wartime conditions? Or the condition most guns live in, clean and reasonably well kept. Lets face it, most SD and CC gun's biggest enemies are sweat, dust bunnies and lint with the odd rain storm thrown in.
    Head to head at the range, a well sorted & properly maintained 1911 will probably be 100% (mine generally are). As I would expect, so would a Glock.
    Now dragged through mud, sand and so forth, I suspect that the Glock would tolerate more abuse before having issues. But then what does that actually tell us? You can probably abuse your Glock more than a 1911 before you have problems. Big deal. For 98% of the population, the horror show endurance tests are irrelevant. Most quality firearms will be extremely reliable given the conditions most will face.
    My favorite carry gun is a 1911. I have every expectation that it will work when needed, if I do my part.
    The few problems I've had with 1911s have been either Magazine related or user caused.
    Mags are the biggest weakness of the 1911 (IMHO). Spend good money and buy good quality mags. Keep them clean.
    User caused can be nearly anything. In my case it was OAL with my early reloads. I suspect that people polishing things with a Dremel have cause more than a few issues as well.
    The 1911 isn't as idiot proof as the Glock, but it has nothing to apologize for either.