1911 rails

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by AznZOhAn, Jul 18, 2011.

1. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I have a Springfield 1911 A1 loaded, and I want to put a full length rail on it. Is their a way I can put a full length rail on it.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

what do you want a rail for?? typically you dont use full length rails on semi autos. they use under the frame in front of the trigger guard rails.

3. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I work in law enforcement and I want mount a Tac light on it.

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

What is your other hand doing?? Lights only let the bad guy know where you are. Better get glasses.

5. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Holding mags or cuffs

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

No! take care of the task at hand. I'm Not a LEO. But if my gun is drawn, I'm not in need of cuffs at the moment. Are you for real?? Get some night sights. .45acp for a police weapon, doubt it.

7. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

No, I just think it looks pretty, but I am LEO.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

there are no gunsmith addon rails that clamp to the trigger guard. here is one version: Tick Rail Mount for the 1911

best to not do it as a permenant mod because your gonna find that rails on handguns suck.

being former mp its better to not have the light on a weapon. i used to use a full size maglight because it could serve multiple roles. functions as a light or club or as a thrown weapon. its not good form to point a gun at someone just cuz thats where you stupidly put the light. but thats my opinion.

if you REALLY want one go for it just dont do a permanent mod cuz you will regret it later when you got some experience using it.

just my two primer worth

9. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I've been in law enforcement for 7 years, and trust me I know what I'm doing with my pistol. I carry a Glock 22 on duty, not 45. I just want it for looks.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

some people think its cool. nothing wrong with that. just giving him options so when the coolness wears off he wont have messed his gun up beyound repair.

11. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I chose my 1911 with a rail because.... I liked the look of it better than one without, now I appreciate both and need a second one. What's the problem with that?

12. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Yeah the 1911 operator is awesome!

13. Thadeuce

Thadeuce New Member

JP, leave that man alone and let him have what he wants. Not everyone wants to shoot a nondescript piece of metal. Some people have style and want it to show.

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The OP asked a very simple question.

The rudeness of the responses amazes me.

AZ, Brownells sells steel or aluminum rails that can be screwed to the dustcover, or brazed in place. Here is the Novak.

15. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

To Jon, yunus, and m14 thanks for the imput and anything I say rude is not meant to you.

16. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I'll just keep it with out rails and just be happy with my mc operator. I'm gonna have some other things done to my loaded A1, like a carry bevel, debur the inside of it, cerakote it, and get new sights and trigger for it.

17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Az, The only problem I have with rails is getting a holster when I want to carry for SD.

I am a minimalist of my carry firearms. I would rather have one that works for me. My range handguns are also the ones I carry (practice, practice, practice).

(Hey, aren't you the one who started the MC Operator thread? The picture shows a 1911 with a rail attachment already on.)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  18. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Yes I am, but I also have a Springfield 1911 A1 loaded. I saw a trp operator and wanted a full rail on my A1.

19. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

The only real good holsters for railed pistol are nylon, kydex(spell check), or some polymer. I carry a Glock 23 2nd gen with rails, and it carries the best and most comfy. I use a uncle mikes soft inside pants or leather belt slide bianci auto retention. The polymers are too hard and bulky