1911 question

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by mbd, Nov 30, 2011.

1. mbd

mbd New Member

Hi all!
    I am looking to purchase a 1911 style 45,
    and would love to be able to afford the colt, but it's a little out
    Of my price range...
    I have around 800.00 to spend, and was wondering if anyone has any opinion, on the Taurus PT, or the Para Ord GI .?
    Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
    Mahalo!!!!!

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The taurus is a good gun but there are better ones out there for that price. Ruger, sig, rock river, regent, springfield arms, s&w are all good weapons. What are you wanting it for?

3. MrWray

MrWray New Member

You can pick up a RIA for a little under $500, and "IMO" is a better 1911 than the two you mentioned..that would leave you with some extra money for a nice holster,some better mags, and some ammo

4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Depending on your preferences, a blued Colt 1991 comes pretty close ($775 to $835.) Granted, not a lot of goodies, but it's a Colt.
    Aside from that, Springfield Armory would be a great place to start looking. Desert Eagle makes a pretty decent one as well. Lower down the food chain, Rock Island is worth a look. There are others that I can't think of right now.

5. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

I have both a RIA Compact and a Springfield Armory GI .45. Both are reliable, accurate 1911s. With the RIA you do get more features for the money.

6. mbd

mbd New Member

Thank you for all the ideas guys!!
    Looks like I have a little researching to do!!
    I appreciate the time and suggestions, and hopefully will have a picture of my new acquisition up here soon!!!!

7. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Like Overkill said, you could probably find a 1991 Model Colt 1911 for your price range, but finding one is going to be a problem. I would recommend Springfield, Sig Saurer, and Smith and Wesson as an alternative to the Colt for your price range.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

check out the Remington R-1 also, i think you could get it for close to your price range too. the Springfield is my first choice.

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

For $800, you can do better than a Taurus and MUCH better than a Para.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Agree- Lots to choose from in the $800 range & get ammo to boot -

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

i paid 750ish if i remember right for my new production colt series 70

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Really? I've thought about looking into one (DIE HARD 70 series guy here) but just figured it was out of my range :( I feel a lay a way coming on :D

13. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

^^^ Given $800 for the pistol only, this is the answer.

[​IMG]

Otherwise, a Springfield Mil Spec GI ($500) and a case of ammo ($300) would be my next choice.

[​IMG]

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

ya im not sure what the tax brought it to. my local lgs generally gets good deals for me. even on things i special order. he is always at or under internet pricing if you figure in shipping and transfeer fee. so i order lots from him. i did have a long 6 month wait to get it as colt wasnt in a series 70 production at the time i ordered and none were in any of his distributer warehouses.

i cant stress how smooth colts are. its like buttering a countertop then buttering the bottom of a glass and sliding it around. with my springfield i mucked with the internals replacing them with cylinder and slide internals. the colt came from the factory just as good as the springfield felt after a custom sear install.

my colt rattles but its accurate the rattle doesnt effect its accuracy just makes it ultra reliable. it even feeds empty cases from any 1911 mag. it feeds hollowpoints tapered rounds semi wadcutters and full wadcutters. it came from the factory with a full throating job.

if colt charged 1200$ they would still be asking a fair price. sub 1000$ the colt series 70 is a no brainer. if you want extended this and thats and beaver tails etc their other models are still in the ball park.

here is mine:

[​IMG]

15. mbd

mbd New Member

Wow! Beautiful guns guys!! Thank you so much for the info!!!
    It's kinda hard to get the same kind of prices you guys are getting on the mainland out here on Maui, but I have a great gunshop, and we are working on a solid 1911 for a good ( for here) price.
    Wish me luck!!! Thank all of you for the help!!

16. MrWray

MrWray New Member

My High Standard 1911A1..not quite stock anymore, but was $500 new.. Its been 100% for 1,300 rounds

ForumRunner_20111130_231347.jpg

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The biggest downside to the PT1911 is the ambi safety. In some of the earlier models they had a tendency if working loose on some pistols. It seemed to me that some of them just where not installed correctly coming out of the factory. I have one here wit hthousands of rounds through it that has yet to give me any troubles. A buddy of mine had the problem with the safety and after a little reading it seems that it happened to some other people too.

I'm a huge fan of Springers. I've het to see one yet that have any trouble. The two I have here are well used and still spot on. With Para Ord it seems to vary from person to person how well they perform. I've loved the ones I have and would buy another in a heartbeat. One thing that gets me with those are you don't find many used Paras out there. Even the sites like gunbroker you don't see them often. Some people don't like the ramped barrels on a 1911 for any of a few reasons. To me it's not an issue. They just work and that's all I need them to do. I'm not sure being I've not held one but I don't believe the GI Expert has the ramped bbl.

There's literally tons of decent 1911's out there though. For the most part it's a get what you pay for deal but there are deals if you look around. If I was looking around right now I'd lean to another Springer, STI, or a Colt. THe first two can be had a little cheaper than the Colt but there is no denying that Colt makes a great weapon. It's a little hard to explain until you take one out and shoot it. They just feel a little different.

18. OlympicFox

OlympicFox New Member

First 1911 under $1000

When I was in the market for my first 1911 I was looking for something to use in the IDPA CDP Division that was a bit further upstream than the $1000 price point, but still reasonably priced.

I liked the Colt's but their reputation just isn't what it used to be. My wife had two Kimbers and they're definitely nice but something about them just doesn't work for me. Perhaps it's the fancy finish and a plastic trigger. The Smith & Wessons and Sigs were definite contenders but in the end I decided to buy a Springfield Trophy Match.

The Trophy Match is essentially the same gun as the TRP, except with target sights instead of night sights. It uses match grade parts and the slide, barrel and frame are hand fitted. A friend builds custom 1911s and he explained to me how they put their money into the insides, but leave the outside very production.

The Springfield Loaded is similar to the Trophy Match, but without the match grade parts and hand fitting and the result is plenty good enough for most folks.

While you can send your 1911 into S&W, Sig or whoever for a trigger job, you can send your 1911 into Springfield and have them 'tighten' the gun as well as anything else you can imagine. Plus, unlike the competition, Springfield will install your aftermarket parts in your 1911. So if you'd like some Wilson Combat Bullet Proof ambi safeties or . . . they'd work with you.

[​IMG]

19. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

I have found great deals at Slickguns | Best deals on guns and ammo posted by users and free shipping!

Just don't drool to much as they have quite a large selection and very good prices. Heck you could possibly get two for that money one in 45 and one in22 for cheap fun!

I have a local gun shop that will do transfers for $10.00 so it is easy to bargin with the local shops. I find what I want on slickguns, add $10.00 then tell the local shops I will pay that amount plus 10% if they want my business.

It is amasing what the markup is on most of the stock they have!

Some of them seem to cry when I come in and they will take me into the back room so the other customers don't hear what I pay but they still love taking my money!!!

20. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

Take a look at the Sigs. I have been selling some of these and am real impressed with the quality for the price. You could get a base model one for eight bills or less if you looked around.