1911 question

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Simpleman, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Simpleman

Simpleman New Member

Ok my father would like to get a 1911, I'm wondering what is a good lower price 1911 that he could get. He would like to up grade it in the future he just doesn't want to go broke right out of the gate. What should he look for and what is a must have. Thank you in advance

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Look at Springfields or Colts. Depending on what he is looking to upgrade later, those are the usual choices of gunsmiths (I read that in Alex Hamilton's column in American Handgunner).

Now, IMO, Colt or Springfield. Those are what I would consider for my father.
    I've had too many problems when I bought the lower end 1911's

3. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The Rock Islands may meet your needs.

4. NeoGeo630

NeoGeo630 New Member

Many like Rock Island 1911's tho I don't have any personal experience with them and am not sure how close they are built to specification.

For about $150-$200 more, you can get a Springfield GI or even a MilSpec if you are a savvy shopper. The Springfields very good quality guns built to specification which makes them easily upgradable and for many gunsmiths, they are one of the acceptable base gun choices for custom builds.

5. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Agreed. Springfield makes some fine 1911's. I've got the 1911A1 Mil-Spec and I love it, and it's my winter/fall carry handgun. I've heard both positive and negative feedback on the Rock Island 1911's so what I figured when I was buying my first 1911 I might as well spend the extra $150-$200 and get what I know is an excellent 1911.

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

There is a 1911 sub-forum here that you might have better luck posting in.

7. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Lets make this easier. How much does he want to spend? What is his intended purpose for the weapon, ie..plinking, home defense, CC, competition? Thanks, Ed

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I own a High Standard 1911 which is made by armscor, which also makes the rock island.. I bought it new for $500 and have since customized it. I have put about 500 rounds through it flawlessly. They are mil-spec so all of the aftermarket parts will fit with minimal or no fitting.. Some people only own high end colts and springfields so they turn their noses up about the HS or RIA. My HS is every bit reliable and attractive as a colt or SA. Even some of them have malfunctioned before 500 rounds. Mine has not once.To me its not an opinion, my experience with the HS tells me thats its a fine weapon and i would trust my life with it.

image-2859999382.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  9. Simpleman

Simpleman New Member

He wants a daily care and a home defense. He said he is willing to spend about 600 to 700. I have seen some of these 1911 for for bookoo money, he doesn't require anything fancy just functional and dependable. Thank you for the advice so far!

10. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

A Springfield Mil-Spec would fit the bill given the price range in my opinion. I have nothing against some of the lower end 1911's like Rock Island Armory's, ATI's, and High Standard they just don't fit the bill for me. One of these days I'll probably pick one of them up to try out as a range gun, but that's about it. I recommend he goes to some local gunshops and look at their inventory and see what fits the bill for him.

11. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

The Remington R1 would be another good option to look at. I don't have any personal experience with them, but they are within his price range and I've heard really good things about them from some reputable people.

-Fred

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  12. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I would go to a local gun shop and look around. I would recommend the Remington R1. It's within the price range and is a good pistol. I own one as well and have never had a hiccup with mine. Good luck, Ed