1911 Purchase

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Ara, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Ara

Ara New Member

Greetings-

I am a newbie, so please excuse any questions that may sound ignorant / pathetic.

I know this question has been asked a few thousand times on most 1911 forums... But I'm having a very tough time making a decision and would like your expertise

I want to purchase a 1911 and can not decide on a brand.

So far, I've shot over 5 different 1911's and have managed to narrow my decision down to 3 brands. Springfield (I can't recall the model, it was a bare bone stainless model), kimber stainless 2, and the smith and Wesson stainless model (I believe this is a somewhat basic model with target sights).

I've shot a sig and a rock island armory and wasn't to excited with the feel of the pistol.

I live in California. My budget is in the 1000-1200 range.

The 1911 will primarily be used at the range, of course it would act as a self defense weapon of needed.

I've read a ton of mixed reviews about kimbers. Same with SW's Some experts love it, other can't stand the name!

I would like to know your thoughts / recommendations on the 3 brand.

Things that might matter to me are:

- Stainless - I definitely want an SS model
    - Beaver tail
    - Skeleton trigger
    - trigger weight in the 4-5 lbs range
    - Serrated grip sides (not sure if I'm using the right term, I'm referring to the serrations on the sides of the handle)
    - Sights - I prefer target sight (not a deal breaker)
    - Maintenance - something fairly straight forward for a newbie

I don't really care much for lights/laser add Ons

Your thoughts / opinions are highly appreciated

Best,

Ara

2. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Once you decide you like the 'feel & balance', it comes down to quality, reliability & customer service from the manufacturer if needed. As you mentioned, you'll find love/hate info on just about any brand, but of the three you mention I'd guess Springfield gets less of the 'hate' reviews & just about everyone agrees that their service after the sale is top notch.

Of the three, I own a Kimber. By Kimber's thinking, it's just barely broken in with about 700 rounds through it, but it's been perfect from day one so I've had no personal experience with their service. I bought it because I wanted a pistol with a laser, it came with Crimson Trace laser grip & the LGS had one on the shelf at a price I could afford.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

ARA,

It would be between the Springfield and the Kimber. But for me I tend to go more with the Springfield. Both are fine 1911s but I know for sure Springfield has a good product and good customer service. The Range Officer is a fine choice with the explanation and requirements you mentioned.

4. miamivice

miamivice New Member

How is Kimber's CS?

What about the Ruger SR1911? I've heard it is one of the best bang for the buck 1911's out there.

5. Ara

Ara New Member

I dont think the ruger 1911 is CA approved.

6. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

Springfield. Definitely Springfield over the other two. (or Colt) ;)

7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Springfield Loaded Target
    Kimber Custom II Target

Those would be my choices.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

For $1,000. - $1,200. get a Colt.

Springfield is a good pistol and they have an excellent warranty. I carry a Kimber Pro Carry II and it's a good pistol, but if I had your budget, I'd go with a Colt hands down.

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

+1

S&W's are pretty good shooters. Though some people have issues with the look and the external extractor. One could do worse.
    If you can find one in your price range (even used), Dan Wesson is worth a look. I'm not certain about their availability in CA. I know they did have a few CA certified models at one time.

10. Ara

Ara New Member

I presume you are referring to the colt model 80, O1991 model. correct?

If, so, that is a very nice pistol. I just haven't been able to locate one at any of gun shops in my area.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Colt hands down!

[​IMG]

OR

[​IMG]

Both are in your budget.

12. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

First thing you need to do living in Kalifornia is go to the

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms

and see if the choice you want are legal to purchase. I am so glad that I live in Az where I do not have to worry about what I purchase or what I carry. Good luck.

I just picked up a Para USA GI Expert that was $650 shoots and handles great. I also have a RIA 1911A1CS and a Colt 1991A1.

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Colt everything else is just a copy of a real 1911.:D

14. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

My toss up for my purchase is between a para ssp and a kimber custom 2. Both about the upper 700 range in my area.

15. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

You do know that john browning designed the 1911...right?

16. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Just my opinion...

Buy a good, hearty, reliable, simple, and affordable 1911. Add some great mags and a heap of ammo. Shoot the hell out of it. Seize every opportunity to shoot other (especially nicer) 1911s at the range. Take your time in deciding what upgrades matter most to you for what will become your second (and more expensive) 1911.

Just my own take on your situation. I chose the Ruger SR1911. I think there are plenty of excellent similar options from Springfield, Colt, Kimber, Sig, S&W, Para, Remington, and even Taurus or RIA. If I were to point you in one direction, it would probably be Springfield. They have a handful of excellent and affordable models with an outstanding reputation. Or maybe I'm just a SA fan.

There is no perfect answer. There are only more guns. And more money spent. And more guns. And of course, 1911 pride and pleasure.

17. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

What about Charles daly?

How's the build quality of the Charles daly 1911s?

18. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Better yet, between a colt model 1991 or Springfield mil spec, both around the same price, what's the best choice for a 1st 1911?

19. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Similarly priced, I'd always lean toward Springfield.

Truth be told, neither is likely to be decidedly better than the other when you're talking like-priced Colt vs SA. So advantage goes to whichever "brand", finish, or features you prefer.

One brand I don't particularly care for is Remington. But I know the R1 Enhanced can be found for well under $800 at the moment. From what I've seen, it's a pretty good gun...almost good enough for me to put aside whatever bias I might have. That's one of the better 'bang for your buck' 1911s out there if you get it at that price.

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Drive-by poster? [​IMG]