1911 project underway :D

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by unknownhero82, Jun 7, 2010.

1. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

well it's finally started...i'm excited...it's gonna be a long process but it's started out good so far...starting with the champion and made my neranco my carry gun for now until the champion is complete...but here's some update pics

the bobtail started out blued but after fitting...it looks stainless but it's gonna get reblued and the frame and slide are gonna get anodized...beveling the edges of the slide and the magwell...and alot of other lil odds and ends...but i'll keep posting pics as i progress on the gun :)

Attached Files:

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Cool. Keep us in the loop. :cool:

3. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Good stuff. Will be nice to see the finished product.

4. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

thanks you guys...it's always niice to know there's others that are just as excited as me...there's more i'm gonna go to it but it's just hard for me to explain so i'm gonna let the pics do the talking for me as i get around to doing the work...the hard part is finding a company around here that does aluminum anodizing to refisin the frame and slide lol

5. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

ok need alil hand from the va locals...and maybe even nc if need be lol...right now all the main/major pieces that need it are getting beadblasted and ready for the final stage...this is where i'm running into a problem...i can't find a single place here locally that does aluminum anodizing...can anyone help me out? any locals know anyone around here that can do that in the virginia beach, norfolk, chesapeake, suffolk, hampton, newport news...heck even richmond area that does aluminum anodizing...if not...anyone know anyplace between chesapeake and jacksonville nc that does? lol...i know a place but its in oregon and i'm really tryin to stay away from mailing stuff i'd like to keep it all local and actually be able to meet and talk with whoever is doing it...if anyone can point me in the right direction i'd be grateful :)

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm on the wrong coast to help you out. :eek:

7. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

lol it's all good...i know if i were on that side of the island you;d be able to help me out :) i'm just really excited that this is all actually happeneing and coming together...alot easier and faster then i honestly thought it would....i mean my grips arrived almost 2 weeks early lol everything has been fitted niicely...the frame, slide, slide stop, thumb safety, beavertail safety, mainspring housing and the extractor (well back of) are being beadblasted right now...those should be ready for pick up tomorrow...and then it all just needs to be anodized...and i wanna post update pics soooo bad but i really wanna keep it a surprise lol you know?

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'm getting my pro carry 2 bobtailed. I am I am!! :D

Nice work so far.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Have you considered using a spray (from Brownells) that may be of the color you want? They have some specifically for aluminium.

10. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

i have but i've been told that it throws off the measurements of the parts and everything would have to get refitted and refinished again lol plus i've been told (which i'm not sure about if it's true or not) that having it anodized is just better in the long run

11. danf_fl

True, but it is easier to retouch a spray (and it will protect the aluminium) until you locate some who an anodize.

12. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

true...i'll have to look into that :)

13. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

well i think i've had a break through...so to speak lol...i found a company up in lorton va about 3 1/2hrs away. i just e-mailed them to see if they offer their services to the general public or strictly to industrial sized stuff...hopefully to the general public :)

14. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

change of plans lol...i'm geting my parts back tomorrow from being blasted and i'll be getting aluma-hyde II for the frame, cerami-coat?? for the steel parts and the slide is gonna get hard chromed :D...now i just need to find a place that does hard chroming here locally lol

15. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

Very cool. I hope it turns out great!

16. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

i hope so too lol if i can find a local hard chromer then it;ll turn out great lol

17. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

Once I tried one of the sprays from Brownells that you bake onto the gun. I can say without a doubt it was a complete waste of time and money. If you were just trying to make a gun look good, but would never handle/shoot the gun, then I suppose the spray would be okay. When I have done a 1911 rebuild I have found the finish treatment to be one area where you just need to hand over the plastic and pay a shop to do it right. Most of us mortals don't have the equipment to refinish a gun.
    My favorite part of a 1911 project is always taking the files and sandpaper to the gun and giving it a "melt" treatment. Done slowly you can do wonders to the gun. Done too fast, you can wonder why you did it at all.

18. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

what do you mean by a "melt" treatment?

19. danf_fl

An extreme "melt" job is one done by Clark's. the edges are radically smoothed out and it looks like the whole gun was exposed to super high heat.

I have not had any bad experiences with spray. Except the wife had me do some cabinet knobs a few years ago, then I ran short of what I needed.