1911 options

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by 97cobra, Sep 11, 2011.

1. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

What is the absolute best 1911 to buy?

2. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

It depends on how deep are you pockets and what you're using it for. It also depends on the weight you like, the finish you want, how loose you like a gun, caliber, and etc.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Unfortunately, like many things in life there are no absolutes...what is best for me may not be best for you or anyone else. Neither price nor reputation makes any one gun the absolute best...I believe that Canebrake once posted a very informative essay on the diminishing returns on 1911 costs, once you get above $1,500 or so the additional price gets you less and less improvements in quality and hardly any performance increase.

Generally, the best for you would be the gun that feels good in your hands as well as being the one that you are most comfortable and confident handling and shooting. Another major consideration is purpose...are you looking for a competition gun, a carry gun, a range gun, a home defense gun, etc. What is your budget....some are willing and able to spend $3,000 for a custom Nighthawk while others love their $600 Rock Island, both guns are equally capable of delivering a threat stopping double tap.

A few models that seem to garner praise from their owners are Colt, Nighthawk, Springfield Armory, Smith & Wesson, Kimber, Dan Wesson (pre CZ USA), Ruger and Remington. (apologies for any I have missed :eek:)

Help us out and fill in some of the details mentioned above and elaborate a little on what it is you are looking for. Above all else visit a couple of gun shops or ranges and check out several different models and sizes, i.e. Full Size (government), commander (compact) or agent (sub-compact).

Have fun and good luck...

4. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Agreed. So far the best 1911 I have handled and fired is a tie between my Springfield 1911A1 and a Sig 1911. For me the best 1911 is a GI configuration with a 3 dot sight system like my Springfield or a Colt. So far the best 1911A1 I have experience with is my Springfield and the best 1911 I have fired was a Sig, but the best 1911 I have handled was a Colt Series 80 1991 model. Canebrake will most likely tell you the best 1911 is a Colt and I have to agree with him, but as to what particular model is where we might disagree based on our own preferences.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I like the Ed Brown's line. He provides pistols to some of our fighting elite.

6. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

I'm looking to use it as a range and home defense gun. Probably in the $1500 range and when I was looking at colts custom options all but one were single action. What's that all about?

7. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

All 1911s are single action, except certain DAO models and those are not 'true' 1911s.

"Single-action semi-automatic pistols require that the hammer be cocked before the first round can be fired, although most designs cock the hammer as part of the loading process (e.g., the act of inserting the magazine and operating the slide mechanism to chamber the first round also cocks the hammer or striker into the ready-to-fire position). Once the first round is fired, the automatic movement (recoil) of the slide cocks the hammer for each subsequent shot. The pistol, once cocked, can be fired by pulling the trigger once for each shot until the magazine is empty. The M1911 and Browning Hi-Power are single-action pistols that function in this manner. ." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_(firearms)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

IMHO, send your Colt (or BHP) of choice to Ted Yost, Heirloom Precision, Tempe, AZ and have him do a Signature Grade conversion. (Starts at $4,995 + your gun + shipping.)

Heirloom Precision

I would send him a Colt LW Commander and have it done like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ Ted Yost Signature Grade Conversion

[​IMG]

^ Built by Jason Burton of Heirloom Precision.

[​IMG]

^ Built by Steve Bailey of Heirloom Precision.

Some additional Heirloom Precision guns:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  9. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

What is the signature grade conversion? Based on the threads I've read I've heard you are an extremely excellent person to ask questions. Around how much would the total be including everything.

10. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

Ok. I read that on colts website and thought cocking the hammer everytime is what they meant. Thanks for clearing that up. I suppose if I thought about it at all I would have realized that the slide would cock the hammer back once fired lol.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

When your pistol arrives in Tempe they will schedule a completion date depending on which gunsmith you request. The fastest you can expect to get your gun back is one year.

Signature Grade Conversion in 45ACP (Think of it as "Pimp My Colt")
    • Welded frame and slide fit
    • Completely detail and straighten all frame and slide lines
    • Hand-filed beveled mag-well
    • High-cut front strap
    • Hand-checker front strap at 20, 25, 30, or 40lpi (serrated front strap may be substituted)
    • Blend mainspring housing to frame and checker or serrate to match front strap
    • Nowlin magazine release, shortened, angled back, and re-serrated
    • Machined slide stop, available with or without serrations
    • Beavertail grip-safety
    • Extended thumb safety, single side or ambi-safety
    • Best quality trigger job with trigger length of your choice
    • Flattened and serrated slide top in triple arrow pattern
    • Your choice of Professional Grade, Novak, or Heinie sights
    • Your choice of Heirloom Precision Gold Line front sight or tritium front sight
    • Serrated rear of slide
    • Fit Kart match grade barrel with EGW barrel bushing
    • Blend rear of frame and slide
    • EGW oversized firing pin stop
    • Extended ejector
    • Complete 1911 dependability package
    • Wilson Combat "Bulletproof" extractor
    • Lowered and flared ejection port
    • Bordered slide
    • Fit and stake bar-stock plunger tube
    • Wolff spring set
    • Complete hand-filed de-horn
    • Polished blue frame and slide
    • Shortened stock screws and stock screw bushings
    • Your choice of hand made stocks or Spegel exotic hardwood stocks
    Available options on the Signature Grade conversion:
    • Round butt conversion
    • Nitre blued pins and screws
    • Machine slide for ball-cuts
    • Ambi-safety
    • Legacy Custom "max-bevel" main spring housing
    • Weld-on mag well
    • Ivory stocks
    • VZ G10 or Micarta stocks
    • Hard chrome, two-tone, Black-T, or DLC finish
    • Other calibers: 9mm, 38 Super, 9x23, 10mm

Depending on what your choice of options, this conversion will be from $6,500 to well over $10,000.

12. Glore

Glore New Member

Apologies for the hijack, but what is the function of serrated rear slide? Does it help with sight picture?

13. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

That's a whole bunch of money.

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

It does nothing for the sight picture except to help reduce glare if the sun is in the correct position to reflect off the rear of the slide.

15. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

I see Mr. canebrake replaced a facepalm with some pretty pictures. ;)

Good work man! :p

Really, that is some beautiful work.
    Work of that caliber does not come cheap.

Buy Once - Cry Once

16. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Cane,
    Are these your guns?
    In the last picture (the Browning Hi-Power) - is that an Omega Planet Ocean? Looks like it - is it yours?
    If so, you not only have fine taste in firearms but also in timepieces, as well!!
    PS - not the pics here - the quote did not bring all the pics over.
    It's the very last on in your original post.
    Bart

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Bling. :p:p:p:p

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

No, they are not my guns. :(

No, not my watch, but thanks for the taste complement. :p

Heirloom Precision is where I plan to spend a (large) portion of my Lottery winnings when I hit! I will save some for that Omega watch. :cool: