1911 on a budget

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Kamarathin, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Kamarathin

Kamarathin New Member

Is it possible to get a reliable Commander sized 1911 in .45 acp for around $400-500?

2. ZombieBrawler

ZombieBrawler New Member

New? No idea so many people make a version is hard to see whats decent let alone for that price. Might have to go used? Or suck up a few more bucks and buy a good new one to begin with, a quality brand and never take the chance on a crap gun. Just my .02... Glad i have a few times

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Metroarms makes the American Classic 1911 pistols, makes a Commander sized pistol. also make an Officer sized one called an Amigo.

4. theundeadelvis

theundeadelvis New Member

You can get a new Rock Island Armory for about $500.

5. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Rock Island from I hear.
    [​IMG]
    Just love showing my SIG Commander off!

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

RIA my friend :)

7. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

RIA is probably going to be the safest bet for under $500. I haven't ever shot one, but I hear nearly 100% positive comments about them.

Bud's had the commander-framed version of the Para Ordnance GI Expert on sale for $549 for a few weeks. But it got bumped up to $617 a couple days ago. Still a tough deal to beat, and it's where I'd probably lean for budget commander.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Not as pretty as my Colt Commander Dodger!

[​IMG]

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

check out the vendor here, Slickguns, they advertise a RIA 1911 Officer style pistol for $398 shipped. i have looked at the RIA pistols and am impressed enough also by others who have them that i would definately give one a try. i do like the feel of them, and they appear to be well made and fitted. they don't feel cheap by any means. the only area i have any concern with them is the magazines, this is one area they do take a shortcut in, as mine with my American Classic were not that great either. it's not a big issue for me, and most of us will buy more magazines anyways. it's not like there is any shortage of quality magazine makers in the marketplace.

10. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

RIA, Metro Arms, and ATI all make guns in that price range. All are Filipino made guns if that bothers you.

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

If i was wanting a 1911 but had a budget " which i was" i would go for the High Standard or the RIA. Both are made by Armscor and are very well built. I went with the High Standard. $500 for a nice 1911 isnt bad at all

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  12. slickab

slickab New Member

I had a Ruger SR1911 ordered.... got tired of waiting.... investigated and picked up an American Classic II by Metro Arms. Glad I did, good fit and
    finish.... better than RIA IMHO. Put a Wilson Combat ETM magazine in,
    100% reliable.... absolute tack driver! $482 out the door from AS.

13. DallasShooter

DallasShooter New Member

I'm sure you will love your American Classic II as much as I love mine. You are right that it has a great fit and finish. The blued finish on the AC II is great - better than the finish on my RIA GI, although I think the fit on the RIA is as good as the AC II. Both are great guns and would be good value even at twice the price.

14. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

I was just at the range on Saturday & a friend showed up with his American Classic .45 Commander. It seemed to be a very nice gun & reliable too. First time that I had seen one up close and seen one fired.

15. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I have the RIA officers model. Very pleased with it, have yet to have a issue. I have changed the grips to Houge, and added a Wilson combat trigger got looks. Buds has them for $417.00.

Attached Files:

16. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Beautiful just beautiful, both of them. One shall be my next pistol. As a Commander seems to be the perfect size for most carry needs.

I guess this is like a starter wife, good looks, gets the job done, now ready for a new one. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

17. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I like the looks of that,is that a Tripp research mag?

---Shoot To Thrill---

18. kytowboater

Wilson combat mag well. With Wilson combat
    mag

19. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Ohhh just saw the shinny metal and Tripp is then only mag I've seen with polished metal mag plates,nice gun.

---Shoot To Thrill---

20. kytowboater

Thank you very much, I have yet to purchase any Tripp mags. Have heard the world of them though.