1911 no lube test

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Gojubrian, May 23, 2010.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Who says your 1911 needs to be wet to be reliable?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWh07MLi1dc]YouTube - 1911 No Lube Test[/ame]

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Wow, that 2 minute test convinced me!

I'll never run lube again.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Just cause you can don't mean you should. I think I'll still keep mine lubed...

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

That's just... really.....underwhelming. And the point being?

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

A couple of drops can save a lot of problems.

6. Hot Sauce NARC

Hot Sauce NARC New Member

Why would anyone "RUN" any weapon with out proper lubrication?

7. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

when the hammer falls you should see a splash and get oil on your glasses

8. General-Logic

General-Logic New Member

All my 1911s remain lubed. Like the little mechanical masterpieces that they are.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

oil and residue make mud. an over lubed weapon is worse than none at all.

10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I think it has more to do with the 1911 bashers that will always say that a 1911 needs top be perfectly maintained to function. So it's not that you should, but you could.

I used to shoot wit ha guy that tried to polish all the surfaces that contacted like the slide to frame believing it would need less lube. I don't see that to be necessary and possibly dangerous. Those parts are pretty smooth as is and the risk of doing harm is HUGE!

The 1911 has a good bit more frame to slide contact than more modern weapons like a Glock. This can cause more friction and the absence of lube or addition of crud a bigger issue. But fro my experience the 1911 holds up very well against other weapons in the area of reliability. The Video dispels a common myth. THe 191 can perform with little to no lube. But I wouldn't want to take the risk when it's my rump on the line.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Yeah, I run mine with a few drops on it and wouldn't dream of putting it through that. The point is just what Drumjunkie said. :)

Haters! :D

12. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

i knew id get a raise if any thing i run pretty dry but the guy that built my gold cup likes them wet

13. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I usually take a bucket of sae-40 with me to the rage and just shoot it in there.

14. DonnyKC

DonnyKC New Member

Think ill run mine lubed.

15. Pat-inCO

Pat-inCO New Member

THERE is an accurate statement.

Just like you - can - step out in front of an oncoming train, that does NOT make it a good idea. :rolleyes:

16. Gloves

Gloves New Member

I guess someone had to do it. Glad it wasn't me and wasn't my gun.

I'm betting if that gun was good for another 1/2 million rounds under normal conditions
    it's now good for another 5,000.

17. Pat-inCO

Pat-inCO New Member

I'm skeptical that any would handle a 1/2M. Dick Metcalf (shooting times) did an accuracy test on five (if memory serves me) different guns. He cleaned each and then shot until failure, with an accuracy run every five hundred rounds (once again, if memory serves me). After the failure, each was cleaned and he began shooting again. His results showed that the accuracy of a gun barrel reaches optimum at about - - seven thousand - - rounds. It then "deteriorates" back to what it started at by ten thousand rounds.

My guess would be that by 20,000 rounds the accuracy is not what you would hope for. ;)

18. Gloves

Gloves New Member

And that particular test was 1911s that were taken care of/oiled?

19. Pat-inCO

Pat-inCO New Member

They were guns that started with proper maintenance.

My comment was primarily directed at the 1/2M. :)

Personally, I would not run a gun with no oil. Why - try - to have it fail? ;)

20. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Pat, i'm kinda dissapointed. I thought the service life of a 1911 would be a little bettter than that.

According to the Wikipedia I found this:
    "the 92F proved a MRBF (mean rounds before failure) of 35,000 rounds. That number is equivalent to five or six times the pistol's service life."