1911 needed attachments?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by THEAKDUDE, Feb 22, 2012.

1. THEAKDUDE

THEAKDUDE New Member

I have a Kimber crimson trace II with a rail on bottom what should I put on that and what other things are nice or needed to have on 1911?

2. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Ammunition and good mags. Period.

3. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Ditto......

4. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

You will find that the 1911 pistol and it's variants have a cult like following. Many of us, myself included, subscribe to the theory that, "if JMB did not put it there, it does not need it."

Honestly, you should ask yourself what the gun is for before you spend money on rail accessories. A rail is NOT a mountain. You don't need to hang crap off of it just because it's there.

Now, if your Kimber is for HD only, putting blasphemy aside, there no reason to not hang a tactical light or laser/light combo on it.

However, if it's for CCW you will have trouble finding concealable holsters to hold any gun w/light attachment. And you'll suffer snickers from us 1911 guys every time you show it at the range.

Note: this aversion to Tacti-cool applies equally to the Browning Hi Power and really anything designed by John Moses Browning. Before you judge us, understand that most of us rank the greatest men who ever lived as:

1. Jesus Christ
    2. George Washington
    3. John Moses Browning

Tack
    Tack

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Gadgets belong on Glocks and ARs, not 1911s.

6. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I have several 1911s on my wish list. None of them have a rail & I don't foresee ever owning a 1911 with a rail. :)

7. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Ditto that!

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Ditto.

And I have several 1911 platform pistols. No rail.

I just never though of adding a bayonet to one.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In an attempt to placate the sensitive, the obligatory ;)

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

quoted for truth.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

+1 Tack.....but you forgot Col. Cooper. :cool:

12. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

We were training at a shoot house before we went to Iraq in 04 and this contractor who taught the class went around the room looking at everyone's weapons. The next thing he said was, guys, you don't need all those optics and crap hanging off those weapons. The guy gave us some background before he started the class and if its true he has the right to pass out advice. None the less, flashlights and lasers and all that crap, they work both ways but if I was gonna have to have something I would go with a laser of some sort.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

when it comes to 1911's, less is more. they don't need or deserve gadgets, as they are perfect just the way John Browning designed them!

14. THEAKDUDE

THEAKDUDE New Member

What about not fancy stuff but internal stuff?

15. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Good sights, Good trigger, Good mags.

All that is needed for a top performing 1911.

Having a good understanding of how things work together in a 1911 is crucial. There are no secrets about working on one, only mysteries.

16. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Thats one of the great things about a 1911, you can treat it as a blank slate and add your own personal touches. Everything on a 1911 is changeable, and they are fun to play with

17. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Refer to my initial post. If JMB did not design it, it does not need it.

Really, if your itching to modify a gun then go get a mil spec AR15.

It is the Barbie Dream House for dudes!

Or get a Glock...you could dura coat that sucker pink and no one would laugh at you.

Tack

18. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Love that guy. He's number 5 on my list right behind Alvin York.

19. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Lewis "Chesty" Puller should be on the list

20. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Unless there is something wrong with the internals, just shoot it and enjoy it like it is! Odds are that you won't be able to tell any difference if you replaced all of the internals.

If you wanna LEGO gun that you can constantly change out parts and pieces for, save up and get an AR-15. 1911s are meant to be shot, and shot often!