1911 makes? Preferences?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by fins59, Jan 16, 2012.

1. fins59

fins59 New Member

Any thoughts for preferences on makes? Or what to defiantly steer away from. I have a springfield XD now and love it. The wife is jonesin for a 1911.
    Trying not to spend a pile of cash here, so we will be looking for a good middle of the road fun to shoot gun.
    Of course unless I'm mistaken if I get a good gun to start with. We can always upgrade bits and pieces as we go.

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

There are fans of all different makes here, but you don't hear much about smith and wesson or para 1911's. After gathering all the info I could, I'm planning on going with a Colt if everything works out the way I hope it will.

3. gollygee

gollygee New Member

My personal experience is with Kimber, Colt, Rock Island & American Classic. My choice out of those will be Colt with Kimber second.

4. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Out of all of the makes. I would be most excited about giving the PARA 14-45 a good run through. 14 rounds in the mag is an awesome innovation for the 1911.

5. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I own two Kimbers...some people don't like them, but I do.

image-4109123845.jpg

Colt is badass as well.

I hear good things about the Sig 1911's

6. fins59

fins59 New Member

Para 14-45. Must be similar to the one a friend of mine has. His is a para it says Hi-cap on the side, and has a double stack mag in it. That's the one my wife shot and got her wanting one. But I believe for smaller hands, we will probably go with a single stack for her.

7. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

My choice is Sig, Colt, or Kimber. My choice of the three would be Sig then Colt, though I really know nothing about Colt except they're old, and then Kimber last.

But if your not looking to spend those dollars off the bat, Rock Island I hear can be really good out the box.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

If you want a good warranty stay away from Kimber :(
    Look at Colt , RIA, Springfield ---Not in any particualar order :cool:

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

High Standard.....And Colt,Springfield,RIA,or Sig

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yup, Ruger & Remington have good ones out too :)
    Dang, who can name a top manufacturer that DONT make a 1911 these days :p

11. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Beretta? I love Beretta. Only Sig I think comes close to Beretta

12. fins59

fins59 New Member

Seems everybody makes em. Everybody has a preference, anybody have any they absolutely would not go with. All I've got so far is no Kimber for a lack of warranty. I'm thinking RIA for price or Springfield cause I already got an XD, and love it. Or maybe Remington, for price.

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Its hard anymore, i wouldnt call mine a "top" manufactor but its been 100% shooter for 1300 rounds..cant really ask for better in my opinion

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Does seem like it :D
    I've owned 4 RIA's- 3 were great rite out the gate :cool:
    Cant go wrong with a Springer - Well, doubt it anyway-
    My #2 favorite right now is my RIA Tactical :)
    The #1 is a old 1911 build that you cant buy so why did i even bring it up :confused::p

15. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

No dude, I think it's a design that has worked for over 100 years now. Get one, fire it, tweek it and love it. Cant go wrong.
    It'll be like the taurus argument. some people will swear they'll never own one cause they heard somebody baby daddy one their second cousin's side knew somebody that had a taurus and it jammed once. But I think Taurus makes a great firearm. that's coming from a Sig 1911 owner! Sig Scorpion FTW!
    Get one, care for it and it will work

16. vincent

vincent New Member

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

My buddy (the one I tortured the hi point with) has a Taurus 1911. He loves it so much, that although he knows I want a 1911 and would like to try one before buying, he refuses to even let me look at it too close. What an A hole. :)

18. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Well come find me in oklahoma, you can shoot the hell outta mine

19. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Ditto here, trip...maybe I can make ya a Kimber "convert". ;)

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ill let you shoot any of my colts, my taurus, new sig, or my r1. Then let you decide which you like better.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did