1911 mainspring housing help!

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by sonovagus777, Sep 30, 2012.

1. sonovagus777

sonovagus777 New Member

Hi everyone.
    I'm having a problem with my 1911. I'm trying to remove the mainspring housing, but the housing pin just won't budge. I've tried putting oil around it and even after that it won't move at all. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to remove it? Thanks.

Here are a few photos of it

Attached Files:

2. rock185

rock185 Member

Make sure the hammer is at rest/down, not cocked. I use an old .45 firing pin as a drift to remove the MSH pin. The nose shape of the old firing pin is a perfect match for the hemispherical end of the MSH pin, so it won't slip off as you're tapping. A couple of firm taps with a light hammer removes the pin on any of my guns. If yours is rusted or tighter for whatever reason, it will likely require heavier/more taps with the hammer to remove. Make sure the frame is well supported and the pin has room to move when you get it started out. I use a synthetic bench block to support the pistol's frame while removing the pin, and an 8 oz. or 16 oz. brass gunsmith's hammer...ymmv

3. sonovagus777

sonovagus777 New Member

I tried all if that. But while stripping it down, I made the big stupid mistake of leaving the MSH for last, so the hammer, sears, and thumb safety are already out. Do you think that's effecting it being removed?

4. rock185

rock185 Member

Nope, MSH should just slide out once the pin is drifted out. I have only had a MSH that was hard to install and remove on a couple of ocassions. Those MSHs were intentionally machined oversized to allow a very close/tight fit. Even with those, the pin comes out normally. I remove the MSH first when detail stripping the frame. If the MSH fits tighter than the average in the frame, cocking the hammer puts pressure on the MSH and assists in it's sliding out. The MSH pin retainer, interlocking with the groove in the MSH pin, should be the only thing holding the MSH pin in the frame. The pin may be tight due to incorrect diminsions as manufactured, interference fit, deformity, rust, etc. But, with the frame properly supported, and enough force applied via hammer and drift, I know of nothing that would prevent the pin coming out of the frame of a 1911 pistol...

5. sonovagus777

sonovagus777 New Member

Hey thanks rock, after about a minute of hard hammering it came out. :) in the end it turned out looking pretty nice.

Attached Files:

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Now... details on that beautiful firearm, sir. Pretty please?

7. sonovagus777

sonovagus777 New Member

Nickel plated colt/savage 1911 chambered in 45ACP. Most of the markings indicate that it was manufactured around the year 1918, but I'm not too sure. I acquired this gun from my great great grandfather, but Unfortunately, the SN had been removed, so the only way I'm certain of this date is by the stamps on the gun. But I am in love with this gun.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

It's beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

9. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

It may not have S/ns. I'm sure C3 could enlighten us in that regard.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

My grandfather's was built within the second 500 to leave the factory. It has a serial, so is there a reason this one wouldn't? Maybe a special version?

11. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Just that they weren't required at the time, so it was just a maybe.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

I could see that on a civilian production gun, but not military. I'm no expert, I leave that to C3, who I hope stops in soon.

13. sonovagus777

sonovagus777 New Member

Well it had a serial number, you can see where it was, but someone literally removed it. I'm hoping it wasn't stolen or sold illegally, that would break my heart.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

It was probably bought surplus and removed by someone who don't like the idea of numbers. Don't worry about it.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

A.J. SAVAGE MUNITIONS CO. did manufacture "Slides Only" but NOT complete pistols. They were under contract from July 20, 1918 and canceled on Dec. 4, 1918. (These slides were then used as spares.)

Your M1911 is most likely an arsenal rebuild.

The nickel plating was likely done post service use.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTcYVVB6wCw[/ame]

Colt built all M1911's from 1912 thru 1913. (And all M1911's for the USN/USMC.)

Springfield started production in 1914 and also built them in 1915, 1916 and 1917. (All went to the Army.)

Remington Arms - UMC built them in 1918 and 1919. (Also all for the Army.)

16. sonovagus777

sonovagus777 New Member

Well there aren't indications that the whole gun is savage. The frame has what seems to be the initials "GHS" and the slide has a flaming bomb with an "S" inside of it. There is also an S on top of the trigger and on the pin that holds the slide back.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  17. sonovagus777

sonovagus777 New Member

The "S" on the trigger

Attached Files:

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

the "S" markings are the mark of gilbert h stewart hence the ghs. which means its likely matching gun on the frame. the flaming bomb is ordanance mark often used as a general inspection mark. he inspected guns in 1917 to january 1918.

i concur that yours was rearsenaled and the slide replaced with a suplus one at some point which is liekly how it got the bomb stamp.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  19. sonovagus777

sonovagus777 New Member

Hm. That's all very interesting, well ill certainly do as much research on it as I can. Thanks everyone for the information!!