1911 magazine help

Discussion in 'Blog Forum' started by Rebel33, Nov 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rebel33

Rebel33 New Member

So, I have heard great things about Tripp Research mags and kits and want to increase my magazine inventory, the issue is, I plan to buy some of the cheaper 1911 magazines and strip them to replace the springs and followers. My question is, is there anywhere I can just buy the tube/body of 1911 magazines for a cheaper price or just cheap surplus magazines since I will be using the Super 7 spring and follower kit to replace internals anyway. Also, anyone who has had experience with Tripp mags, how well do hollow points perform with these mags. Specifically if you have run any sig v crown 230 jhp

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

the Tripp magazines are considered some of the best. i have couple of the older ones, and have never had a problem with them. they work with any ammo i have used through them. from factory ammo to all sorts of various reloads using various bullets. never a problem to date.

if you go to Numrich Gun Parts, you might be able to buy just the magazine bodies.

if you buy complete magazines, what you have tool for is the base plates. some have removable ones, while some are welded. so if you plan on upgrading the followers and springs, make sure the base plate is the removable type.

if you want a good value in 1911 magazines, i really like the Chip McCormack and the Wilson Combat magazines. MEC magazines are decent magazines too.

3. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I have used Chip McCormic mags for years and I don't have magazine problems. I also got a recent deal on some Pachymers (sp?) that are really nice mags, but I will have to see how they hold up for a decade or two.

Can you do better,cost wise, than the Chip McCormics in your magazine "build?"

Dallas53 likes this.
  4. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

personally, i think it would be very hard to beat the quality of the Chip McCormack magazines, by buying cheap magazines and then buying better quality springs and followers.

IMO, the Chip McCormack magazines are very good quality for a decent price. that's hard to beat.