Firearms Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I just turned 21 this year and am hunting for a nice and if possible cheap 1911 for my first gun (looking at the rock island currently).

I've always had an interest in guns but never really got around to buying one...mainly cause I wanted to get a handgun before a rifle (I dunno it's just the way I am I guess lol) after having 'crushes' on other handguns I couldn't help but be mesmerized by the 1911 and now hope that with the aid from all of you I will have a wonderful experience with my guns to come =]

·
Registered
578 Posts
kenko214 you don't want a "Cheap" 1911 you want an inexpensive quality one big difference there .

The RIA's are a good starter as are it seems the SAM's "Shooter Arms" and of course the Charles Daly's .

I suggest you go with the Tactical model if you get a RIA you will appreciate the upgraded sights over the tiny little GI style ones .

Having a crush on the 1911 is just a natural thing for an American youngster anything else is just commie plastic junk LOL . Remember the 9mm didn't beat the 45 at anything when the Army changed over it was just the "stylish" thing to do to buy NATO caliber weapons .

If you can find a new one SAM makes a true Commander sized weapon for around $400 called the Commodore I personally think the Commanders are the best of the bunch a bit easier to carry than a full size 5 inch barrel weapon and you lose nothing in accuracy and next to nothing in performance with the 4 1/4 inch barrel .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops~ yeah that's what I meant.

Yeah I visited a gunshop nearby and they had a new RIA I believe G.I. model for $379 I asked the guy who worked there about it and he told me that he has not recieved any complaints about the gun from others who had bought it.

Oh yeah I know all about that, you don't need to tell me twice lol, I've been reading up on 1911's history and all.

I guess when I go back I'll see what other 1911 models they have.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oops yeah sorry I meant inexpensive.

Yeah I mentioned the RIA because I visited the gunshop that I go to for shooting and saw a RIA 1911 GI model if I'm not mistaken for $379 but I don't think I saw any SAM's or Charles Daly's...hmm I'll check again when I go tomorrow, my cousin wants to go shooting for her birthday with some friends.

Is the tactical model the next one up from the GI?

Yeah that's what I figured lol. Oh yeah I know I read over the 1911's history I'm always talking about the 1911 to my friends and it makes me sad that a lot of them didn't know what a 1911 was when I first told them about it =[

I see...I was planning on getting the full size 1911 and I feel that I'm more of a 1911 purist but I don't exactly have a money tree in my backyard so I gotta go with the next best thing. I will check out the commander sized models though especially for carry purposes.

Thank you for your advice and comments.

·
Registered
909 Posts
hello thur stranger
i might be able to go shooting with you tomorrow after all
:D

·
Registered
605 Posts
Check Out Auto-ord's Mil spec 1911, You will fall in love with it and just a few pennys more than the RIA. Not that there is nothing wrong with the RIA, I just liked the Auto ordanance's 1911 better. If you get a chance to check them both out at a shop at the same time I would bet my bottom dollar you will go for the AO over the RIA.

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
BigO is 100% correct - you don't want anything cheap in your hands, you want a good deal on a great piece of kit.

Don't discount Taurus. They are making great handguns these days and their true lifetime warranty is nothing to sneeze at.

JD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh yeah I know I meant cheap as in inexpensive sorry about the mix up.

And I've read up on the 1911 history and all that, I'm not expert...yet but I'd like to get there eventually =]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts