1911 Love

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Tidalforce79, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

Just wanted to mention, I have shot a Colt Delta Elite and my grandpa's old .45 service pistol. Both are among the finest weapons I've fired, reliable and accurate. I do have a question though. I'm looking to buy a Kimber, which model(s) do you guys suggest? Also, disassembling the Colt Delta Elite is something I've been practicing, so, since those are the only 1911s I've fired, can someone tell me if they all come apart in a similar fashion, which ones are harder etc.

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I like the Kimber Warrior, Tactical, or Eclipse.

The 3" and 4" models disassemble differently. I did not care for the little pin needed for the 4" bullbarrel.

3. freefall

freefall New Member

I too do not like the need for the little pin needed to disassemble my Kimber. 1911s should have barrel bushings and field strip without tools.

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

My next one will! :D

I should have got the full size from the get go. The only way to go imo.

5. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

How would you rate a Kimber against, say a Colt 1911, or a Remington 1911?

TJ

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I have only owned the Kimber so I couldn't really say. Ask NGIB. :D

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Kimber makes a good 1911 as does Colt. For me, the jury is still out on the Remington as it's new and I haven't owned one yet. The Remington is also an entry level gun so it's really not a good comparison with Kimber. With the exception of one, all of my 1911s are currently Springfield's as I like having no firing pin block and trigger linkage - less is better.

Personally, I think the best value in 1911s (that have bells & whistles) is the Springer Loaded, for entry level the Springer Mil-Spec...

8. Jay

Jay New Member

The reverse-tapered barrels, with their guide rod springs, in the Kimbers, and RIA's, and maybe others, are easier to disassemble using the pin, but it's not a requirement. I've taken all my 1911-style guns apart with no tools, and re-assembled same. It's tougher without pinning the springs back, but it's doable. My Kimbers are pre-series II, and my other 1911's are all pre-series 80 with no "extra" safeties. Like most other things gun-related, it's personal preference.

There are ALWAYS trade-offs in the selection of any handgun..... I'll deal with the reverse tapered barrel in the 4" Kimber to get the shorter barrel length for carry. My 4" and 5" Colts both use bushings and no tools, but I don't carry them... or the 4" and 5" Sigs, or the DW that also need no tools.

Many of the more recent (after 1991) 1911's tend to have tighter tolerances than the original 1911's, (my opinion) and thus tend to have more feed/ejection issues. I've taken mags loaded with JHP ammo that wouldn't feed in some later 1911's, and have it feed perfectly in my old Colts.

Enjoy yer preferences.... shoot safely

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

While I agree with NGIB, my 2 cents is to Keep It Simple. Start with any basic 1911, determine what you like and dislike, and accessorize to your desire.

10. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

Thank you all for the advice. My primary problem is I want a 1911 that is not terribly frustrating to disassemble. As far as shooting goes, I'd like a trigger with slightly less pull then the Delta Elite. It took me a while to get used to the trigger on the Delta when I was a kid, and I'm not good enough at this point with stripping them, to change the trigger pull(if that's even possible). So, can you guys recommend some 1911s that have a lighter trigger pull, or are they all somewhat similar?

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I did some work on my DE I used in competition (AFTER I learned the ins and outs of trigger adjustments). Most tricks will work on almost any true 1911 (I have not tried the Para LDA).

Good Luck.

12. chopkick

chopkick New Member

I have a Kimber CDP ProCarry and I love it. Out of my handgun arsenal, I tend to shoot better with my Kimber. I've had it for almost twelve years now and it shoots just as well as it did when I first took it out of the box.
    It is also my prefered carry weapon, loaded with Hornady 200gr. TAP.

13. 1911Jeeper

1911Jeeper New Member

Choosing a 1911 based on simplicity of the disassembly and perceived trigger pull is a strange way to shop for a Firearm. Once you learn to disassemble your gun, it easy to do it again. Most good quality, brand name, 1911's will have a decent trigger pull in the 4-6 lb range and will be more accurate than the person shooting it.

1) Establish a budget. 2) Read all you can on the Forum and the Internet about 1911's and their different features, educate yourself. 3) Decide what features you want, and do not want, for example; full length guide rod, 2 piece guide rod, or not. Bull barrel or barrel with bushing ? Tiny WWII sights or modern tactical sights ? Plain, dot, or night sights ? Enhanced features like lowered flared ejections port, beaver-tail grip safety or not. Do you want a cast, forged, stainless, or aluminum frame ?

It is usually cheaper to purchase the features you want than to try an add them on after you already own the gun. Some enhanced parts are easily installed and others require modifications to the firearm and/or a gunsmith to install them.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  14. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

the thing about kimber is that their different models are different personal prefrences and some models like my 4" CDP have been to the custom shop for a little while and just work get together. kimber is the best manufactered 1911 you can buy from what i have seen and heard. i have only shot a few kimbers 4", 5" and a wilson combat 5" for 1911s so i my opinon may be a little swayed. i would like to shot a colt or something else just havent

and the little tool doesnt make me the happiest either. and on my you can get the weapon apart but you can not get the cocking rod or the barrel out if you do not use the tool. so you really can not even clean it. and i do belive that the tolerances on the kimbers are tight and should be cleaned often.

15. Transman

Transman New Member

I've got a 4"Kimber Custom,and a 5" TLE,both very fine shooters,the Custom being my favorite.Also have a new Remmington and a RIA in 38super.I just love 1911s' and don't consider any disassembly a problem cause that means I've been shooting them!The 43 Remmington Rand is a bit too finiky to shoot regularly but still a blast from the past!