1911 loading boo boo

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by 1911newbee, May 3, 2011.

1. 1911newbee

1911newbee New Member

hey guys.I have an s.a 1911 mil spec. had slide back the other day.I put a clip in and hit the release and it didnt feed all the way.So i hit the mag release and pulled the slide agian and when the bullet fell out it was pushed back into the case quite a bit.Im looking at it going how did this happen,and why?Any ideas?thanks. steven

2. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Did you try to rack another round after that one? Could have just been a defective round.
    Also, what kind of bullet was it? FMJ? Hollow point? Have you used this type of ammo before?
    Need more info.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Loading the same round numerous time (considering it was 230gr FMJ) will "loosen" the "crimp" allowing for that.
    Such a round could have increased pressures and can be dangerous to fire.

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

My advice would be to release the slide by pulling it back and letting it snap into battery.....rather than depressing the slide stop. This would be a good habit to get in to.

Doubt that it had anything to do with your problem, though.

5. 1911newbee

1911newbee New Member

i am useing the hornady critical defense hollow points in 185 grain.They fired in the weapon just fine.

6. 1911newbee

1911newbee New Member

that makes sense.When i get off work at night i release the mag and take the one from the chamber and put it back in the clip till the next day.I guess i need to break that habbit if it is causeing a problem.Thanks

7. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I used to totally unload my very first handgun every night, just to kinda check things out. When I first learned of the bullets being slowly pressed back into the casing, I started to look for it. The top 2 rounds of each MAGAZINE was getting really quite short, with the bullet quite far back in the case.

I got out of that habit very quickly. If you feel the need to unload it every night here is a thought: After a week or so, toss those 2 rounds into your range bag. After a couple of months you'll go through a box of ammo, but you should probably run a box of your carry ammo every few months anyway.

By the way:

This would mean that you are neglecting to add another round after loading the top round into the chamber. This neglects the 8+1 capability. You load a full magazine, load the chamber, click on the safety, release the magazine, add another round on top, then reseat the now-full magazine. This means you will have a full magazine and a loose round each night. It also means that you will have this problem with bullet creep for 2 bullets, not just one. Does that make sense?

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  8. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I've wondered if this was considered proper or not. Why is it better?

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

It's especially important on an unloaded pistol. Less stress on parts.

10. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Why un-chamber a round unless you're about to clean the gun or show it to somebody? Leave that thing ready to rock and roll!

11. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

O I C thank U.

12. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

The loaded round will slow the slide and cushion the impact when going into battery.
    With no round in the magazine, either hitting the slide release or racking and releasing the slide fully from the rear, will cause the slide to slam into battery. The increased force can accelerate wear and possibly damage internal parts (like the sear on a 1911)
    On an empty chamber I lower the slide into battery by hand, I don't let it slam home.
    Probably won't hurt doing it occasionally, but I try not to make it a common practice.
    When loading a fresh magazine from slide lock, I do use the slide release. Others prefer the "sling shot" method. Do whichever you prefer

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The slide stop (not release) is designed to stop the slide movement when the mag is empty.
    Pressing the stop to release the slide wears the very part that is to stop the slide. Pulling the slide to the rear and releasing it does not have the slide stop rubbing on the niche of the slide.

Good springs are important to a 1911. The recoil spring and mag springs should be changed regularly.

14. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

So you're only suppose to use the slide stop to close the slide when it's required because of an empty magazine? Then what's the point of extended slide stops/releases?

15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Like Gate said....I will use the slide stop/release on a freshly changed full mag to return to battery....only if I'm in a hurry. And the extended slide stop makes it easier to do that.

16. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Not gonna get in the stop/release argument again:p
    IMO if you wear out the cut out in your slide there is a problem with the steel in your slide or you have done many tens of thousands of reloads from slide lock. If thats the case you might as well change out the slide when you change out that shot out barrel, the lugs in the slide are probably gone too.
    You must have at least a couple hundred thousand rounds through it:D

17. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Sorry, not trying to stir up anything. Just trying to learn and understand.

I didn't know there had already been a debate on this.:eek:

OP, sorry for the hijack.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  18. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Not getting into the arguement again, but my Springer manual suggests using the slide stop/release when chambering when a new magazine is inserted. Not suggested with an empty chamber.

To the OP, if you have done this every time you get home and the same round is being chambered and ejected over and over, there could be some damgage to the case. Sure, the NiCad cases are harder, but they can deform just like any other case over time, like CHLChris suggested.

19. freefall

freefall New Member

I (being an olde pharte) have habitually used the slide stop to let the slide chamber a round out of the magazine, figuring the harder it slams the more like the recoil activated chambering impulse when firing, thus reducing the 1st shot flyer effect. However, watching Personal Defense TV (on the one firearms friendly channel I get on my cable package) I've heard people like Clint Smith and Ed Head say to chamber the round out of the fresh magazine just rack the slide like you would in a tap rack bang drill, always use the same motion, drill it into your subconscious.

20. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

The Army taught to use the slide stop to release the slide and chamber a round. If I remember right the 1911 & 1911A1 were made for the military.