1911 KIMBER .22 conversion kit.

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by EMTchad, Aug 19, 2011.

1. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

My neighbor just got a brand new silver 1911 22 cal conversion kit from Kimber that fits pretty much all 1911. He asked if I wanted to buy it, market price is like 359.99 on brownells. I put it on my 1911 to see what it feels like and I was smooth. What do u guys think? 350 is hefty but it's from Kimber so that's why? I could get another gun with that price, tell me what u guys think so I can make a decision.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

pass on it!! mine functioned for about 500-1000 rounds then just stuck case ftf after ftf. even when clean it was a jammomatic. for 350 buy a dedicated 22lr.

the only 45-22 conversion ive found that work as advertised is the sig p22x conversions.

3. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Thought it would be awesome cuz it's a Kimber made. My 1911 is a springer. Keep the comments coming! So far I'm with you jon

4. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

5. bleak23

bleak23 New Member

I've no experience with conversion kits but for $350, your .22LR options are great, like JonM said. There are 1911 .22's and things like this...

MPA 22T 22 5IN TB BRL EXT 30 RND $340.00 SHIPS FREE

which looks like great fun to me. Don't know how reliable it is though.

6. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

It may give your springer a STD or jinx it.

7. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Loll that's funny, I think I'm going to just give it back

8. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Take Jon's advise, just get 22 pistol. For that price your options are wide and your gun won't get infected.

9. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

That's what I am saying, for that price I might as well get a 22 auto rifle

10. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I heard sig mosquito is not a good choice, but i think i read that other sig 22 can be exchanged to the particular models normal caliber. Like sig 220 22lr into sig 220 45.

11. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

I shot the 22 Kimber conversion today, have a really pretty female friend this could not shoot my SA 1911, she is Korean and very fragile, so she pleaded to shoot a 22 so I finally put it on and shot it. It's going to stay with me. Since I shot it I can't return it either, but ill keep it in my bag for the ladies

12. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Ummm, no excuses...we like pictures, kay?

Hurry on now! :D

13. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Pics of the chic, nit of you cheating on you SA.

14. alxltd1

alxltd1 New Member

I have a Kimber conversion kit that I mounted on a spare Essex frame that I had. Installed a few mods (extended slide stop and safety and target trigger and skeletonized hammer). Initially it would jam/stove pipe with a fair number of rounds. Then I changed the mainspring to a lighter version (20 lb Wolf spring) and limited the ammo to CCI Mini Mags. It now functions with rarely a jam. Now for all practical purposes it is a dedicated 22LR pistol, but for what I have invested in it, there are more accurate and reliable dedicated 22LR pistols, such as Ruger, SW, and others. But enjoy your kit and good luck with it.

15. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Thank you very much bill, put 150 rounds no fails. Smooth. But I have to give it back to my neighbor, unfortunately he found his buyer in Thailand :(

16. Wambli

Wambli Member

Well i don;t know about others experience but I have a Kimber conversion and after a break-in period (it was very tight on my Kimber) it basically shoots on par with match pistols I've owned so I love mine and i've had it now for 5 years with no issues. I'd buy another one in a second. Actually this one is so good I'm strongly thinking of buying an extra 1911 frame and fitting it to it to make a dedcated really high quality .22 1911.

17. jetgirl

jetgirl New Member

With the arrival of all the 1911-22 pistols, I don't understand the need for conversion kits. You could pay [x-amount] of dollars for a kit to fiddle with and occasionally modify your 1911 temporarily and then fiddle with it to put it back the way it was...OR you could spend the same amount (plus maybe a few bucks) and acquire a whole 'nother toy!
    I don't get it... "More" is always better. [​IMG]

18. Wambli

Wambli Member

Nope. Sometimes you have more than enough guns of one class. In any case if you have a frame with premium parts, a tuned trigger and custom grips and you want to practice with YOUR gun so you can stay in really good shape with your shooting, throwing a very accurate well made .22 upper on it makes perfect sense. I'm SURE the $300 1911 .22s out there do not come with tuned Wilson Combat triggers.

Not putting down those guns. I actually do not own any of the new crop of dedicated 1911s out there but I know that for the price charged these guns are not going te be made with match barrels and Wilson, Ed Borwn or even Springfield Armory or Kimber parts.

19. jetgirl

jetgirl New Member

Great. Now I have to go back and delete this ^ off the entire internet before the spousal unit sees it and I get into trouble. I always told him there was no such thing... ;)

20. Wambli

Wambli Member

Oh I would never tell this to my wife but when you walk into a Cabelas and walk the entire length of the gun counter and find nothing that even catches your eye it's time to take a breath, inventory and reasses your situation... :D