1911 issues

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by gearhead396, Jun 28, 2012.

1. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

I have a metro arms 1911 i shoot about 200 rounds a week and have never had any problems. Recently though I'm haveing a failure to extract it will extract but the fresh round jams the spent shell in the barrel I've taken it to the local gun shop and the say the guns fine but it's still happening any ideas on what's wrong or if mabey I need a new recoil spring extractor whatever ? Also the problem is very intermentant once every 2 or 3 clips

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

try some better quality magazines first. i had pretty much the same one and bought much better clips and never had any problems with it.

3. cuba

cuba New Member

Sounds like some thing that would happen if the 1911 is over sprung, change to lighter action coil spring, or hold the pistol with a firmer grip (limp wrist).

Search on youtube (limp wrist) and see if it looks like whats happening with your 1911.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun.

4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

+1 on the limo wrist. Happens to me every now and then, only when my grip fails. Have limp wristed it in purpose to figure it out.

5. cuba

cuba New Member

Try fitting your 1911 with a 14 or 15 pound action coil spring, and you won't be able to induce one even if you try.

Limp wrist phenomena is a modern day occurrence.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Where do the casings land when ejected? (but check the wrist first)

The main purpose of the recoil spring is to return the slide to the "in battery" position.
    The second purpose is to assist the main spring with recoil management.

Casings should land a few to the right rear (about 10-12 feet over the right should)
    Too little, the spring is too much.
    If the casings go to the next county, then too little strength is left in the recoil spring.

7. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Thanks for all the help guys it is deff limp wrist here and there but I never change my grip..going to change to a higher quality mag and lighter recoil spring..will see what happens

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

You say you shoot 200 rounds per week. What ammo? How many weeks (rough total round count)?

Have you cleaned out the extractor channel, or checked it for fouling? Check the extractor and ejector for nicks, or chips.

Mags are still a good possibility, especially if feed lips have become bent.

9. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

The feed lip was bent problem solved :)

10. cuba

cuba New Member

:confused:

If your feed lip was bent it would produce FTF not FTE, I think that after straightening the lip and trying it out you probably held the pistol with a firmer grip as suggested and thats what resolved the FTE problem. :D

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

11. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Have you checked the extractor to be sure it's not worn or damaged? Look for a burr on the bottom edge just behind the claw on the claw itself. The extractors in the Metro Arms are not the best. The extractor tension may have also changed.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

1. Insure the gun (including breach face, firing pin/firing pin channel and extractor/extractor channel) AND mags are clean and everything lightly lubed.
    2. Inspect the spent cases' primer strike witness marks for flow pattern.
    3. Shoot a box of 230gr ball and see if the FTRTB remains.
    4. Take two aspirin and feel comforted that we will help you fix your problem!

[​IMG]