1911 is 'back in the saddle again!'

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Gloves, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Stop me if it's already been posted
    STORY JUST OUT

U.S. Marines are getting some brand new sidearms.

The Marine Corps awarded Colt Defense a five-year contract worth $22.5 million to supply the military with the company’s M1911A1 Rail Gun, now designated by the Corps as the M45 Close Quarter Battle Pistol. (Why not keep it the M1911 A2 or something, same gun very little little changes and it's made by COLT the original maker of the Colt 45!)

The Marine Corps Times reported that the company could supply up to 4,000 pistols, which will be delivered to the military by 2017.
    (per my calculations that's $5,625 per pistol!!! HOLY HELL!)

“This is a truly gratifying contract award,” Gerry Dinkel, CEO and president of Colt Defense, told the Hartford (Conn.) Courant. “To have the 1911 selected again for U. S. Forces 101 years after its initial introduction is just an incredible testament to the timeless design and effectiveness of the Colt 1911. Colt Defense looks forward to another great partnership with the Marine Corps as we renew industry production of the military 1911.”

The Colt Rail Gun features Colt’s 80 firing system, which adds a firing pin safety block to prevent discharge if the gun is dropped (Thought this was already a feature). The Rail Gun also features more stainless parts, which should prove more adaptable to harsher environments.

2. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

I am glad to see this. I have always had a problem with The United States Military using Italian made Beretta and US Law Enforcement using Austrian mad Glocks. Plus the 1911 is just a true classic.

Don't get me wrong, Beretta and Glock are plenty reliable and quality guns but there are many, many American made guns that are just as good and in many cases better. In today's economy it bothered me to see American Law Enforcement and American Military sending American dollars to non American companies.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

STOP! Old news alert! :eek:

4. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Awww man! Freakin' G&A magazine says: July 20, 2012 AKA TODAY!!!

I've been duped.

Tell me the conclusion of this article. How much is the army paying for these fancy 1911s. Can't be $5,600 each. :eek:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I wouldn't doubt it :(

6. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I think Beretta M9's used by our military are made in the USA.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

They're contract is actually set up to buy the 4,000 pistols, plus two replacements for each, and spare parts.

So... Essentially, 12,000 pistols.

8. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Today's the 24th:p

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

At the moment, I'm actually howling with laughter.

10. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

WIN! 10 char

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Kelly! I cracked UP! Like the Avatar!

Anyway back to the issue on the M-45 1911 Special Operations Marine Corp. Pistol! ""NICE!" I am very glad to see that come about. And for $1800 a copy they should be a fantastic 1911. Not like the old ones we carried that when you shook them they rattled. But they still shot and would do the business!
    Great choice on their part! Had to show a pic of two of my prize 1911s.
    One is a Custom Rock River Arms Elite Commando (Predecessor of the Pro Carry) and the other is a Customized Colt Commander built by Chuck Larson VP at Rock River Arms Inc.

WAY TO GO JAR HEADS! (*With all Respect!)

Attached Files:

12. Gloves

Gloves New Member

I aim to please. :D :D :D

13. Gloves

Gloves New Member

*** BACK TO THE TOPIC AT HAND ***
    TAXPAYER CA$H

Original M1911
    Cost$ (couldn't find one, too many maufactures i guess)

M9 Bretta 92FS:
    Bought 315,930
    for: $75,000,000
    $237.39 Each!!! (why can't I find one for less than $600?)

M45 1911A1 Rail Gun - Close Quarter Battle Pistol
    Bought: 4,000
    for: $22,500,000
    $5,625.00 Each!!! Undoubtedly the greatest battle pistol ever produced for the buck.

Who was in charge of military contracts in 1985? I want them back so badly!

How do you figure?

14. fetep

fetep New Member

If you buy 315,000 of them I'm sure they'll sell them to you for 237 each also ;-)

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

This is from Mark Roberts several years ago, while he was in charge of Colt handgun manufacturing; "...if a gun [Colt] does not run, out of the box, it's broken - send it back".

This was in response to a question of why Colt did not fit up their slides and frames ultra tight like Kimber, etc. He advised that there is a "correct" tolerance for an accurate, reliable 1911 - and that tighter is not better, and gives no worthwhile advantages.

He contended that the miniscule gains in accuracy vs. the headaches and unreliability of a tight 1911 made super tight a bad practice for all but target range only guns that are never used for defense. The pistols sold to the military were purposely built with certain clearances incorporated into the mechanism to ensure reliability under battlefield conditions. Reducing these clearances may make the pistol shoot more accurately, but it will also detract from its serviceability as a combat arm.

If it needs break in - it's fitted wrong by people who don't understand the design - or are chasing that last 1/4" on a 2" at 25 yd weapon - foolishly.

Emphasis added - cane

16. Gloves

Gloves New Member

I am a buyer by trade. Buying 'goods' for retail is what I do.
    I can buy a single one of those 1911s at Full retail and not
    spend more than $1,300. (i know they are top-notch weapons)

Who is doing the buying for America's GIs?

It feels like we are getting shafted. I think that we could have
    3-times as many 1911s without loss in quality. AND could
    have them delivered well before 2017!!!

*Conspiracy Theory*
    Colt lost their M4 contact to Remington, and are scrambling like mad to make $$$. This includes tons of options to the people. But might also include some Washington buddies throwing them a little bone, maybe not to burn bridges, or one last contract for the club.

I have no proof of this. just throwing it out there.