1911 in 9mm?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by bgeddes, Sep 4, 2008.

1. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

Does anyone make one? Higher end guns, say >$800 are not what I'm looking for in this instance. I'd like a 9mm 1911 for economical practice.

2. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Springfield, Kimber and STI make 9mm 1911's, but they are probably all over your
    price cap.

Armscor makes them, in both single and double stack configurations. They do not
    import them. Email them and complain! If enough people contact them they may see
    a market and start bringing them in.

3. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

Armscor would be perfect!! Email in the works, thanks!

4. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

Good luck with that .

Armscor makes what looks like a nice version of the M14 select fire that they sell in other countries , I suggested to the President of U.S. sales almost 2 years ago now on a forum he regularly visits that they should make a semiauto version and import it and was basically ignored despite other forum members agreeing with me .

The M14/M1A is a great weapon and we Americans love them , we just don't love the $1,200-2,000 price tag Springfield has on them and we would love to see a quality made copy at a reasonable price .

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I used to have a 9mm top end for my series 70 Colt. It worked great.

6. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

yeah, I've seen 1911 9mm advertised in shotgun news all the time. Also, RIA makes a .38 1911 for those interested.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have a 9mm steel frame 1911 that I got for my girl. It runs beautifully and has never missed a beat in more than 2500 rounds. But, it's also not a bargain model.

JD

8. painted_klown

painted_klown New Member

Could anyone please tell me the firearms manufacturers that produce 9mm 1911's?

Are Kimber and Springfield the only two?:confused:

9. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

STI, Les Baer, Wilson Combat all make 9mm 1911's. None of them are
    low dollar.

Keep an eye on Gunbroker and the other online gun sellers, they do come up
    once in a while.

10. painted_klown

painted_klown New Member

Thanks for the info BillM.:)

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Nighthawk and D&L Sports also offer standard 9mm models. Neither one is what I would consider "cheap" however... and the D & L models are just plain over the top expensive... LOL

JD

12. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

As the market stands right now Building a 9mm 1911 might be the best thing to do .

Fusion has kits that look almost but not quite complete in just about all the normal 1911 calibers .

13. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

I have been looking into this option. Still researching the details as I am a 1911 newbie, but throughly addicted. A shorter barrelled 9mm 1911 woud be a gift from on high.

14. brointheknow

brointheknow New Member

Does anyone know if there is a DAO model of the 1911?

15. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

who is the company that always advertises on the back page of Shotgun News about their pocket-sized 1911 in 9mm? I'll have to go grab my copy and see. It looks pretty small and pretty nice!

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

One of the key advantages of the 1911 is that you can safely carry in condition one ( a round in the chamber, hammer back and safety on ).

There would be no reason to build a DAO model that I can think of - and racking my brain, I can't think of any manufacturer who would is currently producing such an animal.

JD

17. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

If it was a DAO it would require some major design changes to the point internally and externally it would be so far from a 1911 it couldn't really be called one .

The trigger would go from a straight foreword/rearward travel to more of a swinging link style used on DA/SA autos and the DAO would completely eliminate the ability to be carried in condition one with the hammer cocked so why bother having a frame safety on the thing ?

If you want such an animal I think there are a few people who make or made them in 45 ACP like Ruger , CZ and perhaps Taurus . Of course you must understand no matter what the frame and slide look like it still isn't a 1911 .

18. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

I have an STI Trojan 9mm and it is superb. I think it costs about $900 now (check Dawson Precision) but you get so much more gun than the $700 junk like Para, Colt and SA.

19. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

The closest thing is the Para Ordnance LDA 1911 but you REALLY want to steer clear of those.

Believe me, I know.....

20. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

bgeddes the President of Charles Daly has said they will be bringing out a 9mm 1911 once production with their new supplier gets going full steam .

Bad news is he hasn't told anyone who that is yet .

The good is that he has stated new guns should start hitting the market in late 2008 and we're almost there .