1911 in 9mm

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by tomill, May 29, 2010.

1. tomill

tomill New Member

Does anyone make a 1911 in 9mm but on a smaller scale? I like the Officer's 45acp but it seems too much for my wife. I think that in 9mm it would be perfect for her. She has small hands and she likes the feel and trigger of the 1911. The Govt model I have is too hard for her to carry concealed, but she sure can hit with it. She knows what she likes. A smaller 1911 but in a more controllable caliber for the little lady. Or maybe in .40? Any thoughts. We tried the Glock 19 and it is too fat. Revolvers she does not really care. She needs something thin for her hands.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Springfield Armory EMP 9mm. I had one and it was an outstanding pistol. They're now available in .40 as well, but they were designed for 9mm. Here's a link to the SA web page with the EMP: Springfield Armory

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Para makes a couple The PDA (Link) And the Carry 9 (Link). There are also the LDA but that's another kettle of fish. I hear people talking Para down but from what I see there sure are not many used being sold. So people must keep hold of them. I personally have not seen one yet that wasn't flawless in function.

4. Wambli

Wambli Member

Many of the 9mm 1911s are just full size guns adapted to fire 9mm so if a 1911 is too big for her hands a 9mm version wil be the same. The one exception is the EMP from Springfield Armory which was scaled down for 9mm and 40S&W. Outstanding gun but pricey. If the budget allows there is no better option.

If over $1k is too hard to swallow you should take a look at Kahr (any model) and the Walther PPS. Both guns are slim and more suitable to concealed carry and folks with smaller hands. My wife and Daughter both carry Kahrs. My pocket pistol is a Walther PPS. FANTASTIC guns!

5. gilfo

gilfo Member

+1 Springfield Armory EMP 9mm. It is on my wish list.

6. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Its on my list as well

I think STI makes a few variants in 9mm as well.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I believe that JD's significant other carries a Nighthawk Custom in 9 mike-mike. The Lady Nighthawk me thinks. They are pricey as well, but if you can swing it...

9. tomill

tomill New Member

Thanks one and all The EMP is a little hard to swing right now, I had my hours cut down to 30 from 40. But I might be able to swing a Khar or used Para. The EMP used is still at about 1000.00 used.

10. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Not a 1911, but based on the 1911 design--Star model B or BM. Actually
    not bad pistols. Not something I would want to put 10,000 rounds through,
    and NO aftermarket parts that I know of, but they are a little slimmer
    and lighter than a 1911 and were designed from the ground up for 9mm.

11. mcramer

mcramer New Member

i was at a local gun shop today, and i was browsing the Kimber cage, and they had a few 9mms in there. i think they were 700-1000$. Im not for kimber over the others, its just what i happened to see. they also had an EMP there too.

i think the colt defender in 9mm and the EMP are small enough for small hands, yet big enough for a larger hands too.

If you were considering a Glock, but it was too big for your wifes hands, try and take a look at a walther, or a S&W sigma. i think both of those have smaller frames

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

a 1911 can be made to fit smaller hands a little easier by changing the grip screw bushings so they can hold a thinner grip. That might help makes tings a little easier with choices.

13. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

My wife shoots a 9mm 1911 in USPSA Single Stack division. She also has
    the tiniest hands I've ever seen on an adult.

Guns started life as a full size MkIV series 70 9mm Colt.

Thin grips
    Flat mainspring housing
    Short trigger
    Mitchell right side mag release
    Low pad safety from Brownells
    Champion rear and Dawson FO front sights
    11 lb recoil spring and 17 lb mainspring
    Tripp Research magazines
    147 gr Montana Gold over a pinch of VV N320

It's not a light gun---weighs right at 40 oz., but it fits her hands,
    the recoil is very light and it runs 100%.

14. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Have her try a Browning Hi-Power, if you know someone that has one. Also, as mentioned in another reply, a Star Model-B in good condition , if you can find one. I have had one for lots of years and it is a great shooter. Looks like a little brother to the 1911...........

Jim.........

15. keroseneburner

keroseneburner New Member

After a few range trips with my wife she proclaimed that she wanted "her own" 1911. She loved the trigger and knowing that I carry one every day she thought that she would like to possibly carry it also. She had shot my SA Micro Compact and Colt New Agent and didn't care for the sight radius. She did like my Colt Combat Commander and Kimber Pro Carry, however. With one caveat. She didn't like the recoil of a .45. After shooting a 9MM Glock rental, she decided that she wanted a 1911 in 9MM. After researching Kimber, STI, Para Ordnance, and looking at what 9MM Colt Commanders I could find I decided to spring for a Kimber Pro Carry II (Stainless: She wanted a shiny one). The day that we got it, we did the usual strip, clean, inspect and lube routine and headed to the range. She put 250 rounds of 115 grain WWB FMJ through it and I put another 150 through it. No malfunctions of any kind. I was sure that we would have some kind of problem to work out. I have been pleasantly surprised. We've bought a few more mags that we need to run in it and we still have a few hundred rounds to go before it is trusted as a carry weapon but so far we are both happy with it. I may even have to pick up a black one when I can find it. They are really fun (and cheaper) to shoot.

Attached Files:

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The 38Super has approx the rim size as the 9mm. If you find a .38Super, consider changing the barrel to 9mm.