1911 Help!!

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Zombiegirl, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

So last night we had family and friends stay the night because their power was out. My hubby and cousin had a few beers and decided to strip and reassemble the 1911. Upon reassembly, the slide got stuck and it looks like the barrel is crooked. No parts were forced on. Please help so he can reassemble and shoot today. Here's a pic.......and please don't make fun of him too much.

image-3003067963.jpg

2. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

The very best 1911 assembly and disassembly tips I have ever found are right on You Tube. Just type in "*Whatever your brand 1911 take down" and a bunch of videos will pop up.

3. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

He used that when he was assembling but for some reason that slide will NOT move.

4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

How far did he strip it, field strip or whole take down?

5. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Just took slide off and barrel out. It looks like the barrel is crooked inside slide for some reason. The slide went back on without any force.:(

image-2696427936.jpg

image-4104409204.jpg

image-2152244589.jpg

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

check out the owners guide. Ruger has pretty good information in theirs on how to disassemble and reassemble their firearms.

7. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I was following that and then I was having trouble with the pin. That's when I was watching a youtube video and boom it's stuck!!:(

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

First thing you get the required lecture...alcohol and guns do not mix, ever! There are cemeteries filled with people killed by "unloaded" guns.

Sounds like the guide rod is hanging up on the barrel or something else is jammed. Is the thumb safety hung up on the slide? The spring and detent can come loose when the slide stop is removed. Take out the guide rod spring and see if the barrel and slide can be removed together...if not try giving the barrel a jiggle to line it up with the frame. With the bushing off amd the slide stop out there is really nothing holding the slide on...if its not bound by some other object it may be misaligned or very tight since it's new. A little oil along the base of the slide may help, just do not force it off! :eek:

9. Axxe55

okay, let's start over. remove the slide and take the barrel out and the spring and guide rod.

move the barrel link forward, and holding the barrel and slide upside down, slide the barrel into the slide until it locates on the locking lugs. make sure the link is still forward, then move it rearward until it lined up. place the guide rod and recoil spring in from the rear of the slide and place it onto the barrel, with the spring coming out the guide rod hole in the slide.

then holding the frame upside down, gently slide the the frame onto the slide. moving it rearward until the barrel link lines up with the hole in the slide. you might need a very small tool to gently coax the link into alignment with the hole. when it does, insert the slide stop into the hole. then move the slide rearward until the slide stop is lined up with it's notch on the slide. then carefully depress the plunger spring to engage the slide stop all the way in. careful here s this is where the so-called idiot scratch can come from. trust me, almost every 1911 owner has had the idiot scratch! when the slide stop is fully seated, move the slide forward, replace the barrel bushing, then carefully replace the recoil spring cup and you should be good to go.

hope this helps you out and good luck with the new pistol. don't worry, it's gets easier the more times you field strip it!

10. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

The slide will not move at all. Slide is jammed.

11. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

The problem is that the slide will not come off. Won't even budge.

12. Axxe55

gonna need someone better at 1911's than me. i can usually figure them out pretty good at my bench, but without the gun in my hand it will be hard for to figure out what is binding causing the slide to not be able to move. hopefully some of the better 1911 guys will pop in here and give some advice.

13. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Hey. Take it back apart. My sr1911 does that. Make sure your barrel pin guide is facing the right direction.

14. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

He put a towel on it and gently tapped the back. It came off!! Thank goodness. He will use the info from here when he is re-reassembling.

15. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

We got it apart, but where I was having trouble at last night is the little pin for the thumb safety. I can't get tge slide stop pin past the thumb safety little pin.

16. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Hubby is messaging you.

17. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I can't get this

image-1613977287.jpg

Passed this

image-438414066.jpg

18. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I find it easier to put the SAFTEY on then try to get that on.

19. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

If you dont get it i can walk ypu through it.

20. cuba

cuba New Member

Try adding some lube on the pin and plunging it a few times some times on a new pistol there are burs that need to be worked off, also try inserting the slide stop pin straight on and not from the bottom to avoid the idiot scratch.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun