Firearms Talk banner

1911 Hammer fact or fiction??

4K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  Thebiker 
#1 ·
I was in my LGS today just browsing and decided to look at an ed brown customized 1911. So the worker hands it to me and said not to cock the hammer back with my hand or to let the hammer down with my hand just pull the slide back and dry fire it if I was going to do anything. He told me that cocking the hammer or releasing it with your hand was bad on it.

I've never heard this and was wanting some insight on the matter so if you know why this is bad on it please tell me why and what its bad on. Thanks.

#2 ·
Allowing the slide to slam forward without chambering a round could cause sear bounce and could ruin a great trigger job.

Cocking the hammer with the thumb is not as violent and, as far as I've experienced, causes no damage.

If what the clerk said was true, I would think that Bill at Cylinder and Slide would mention that.
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/1911safetyck.shtml

#10 ·
Hmmmm, you should of ask him what he would tell a person carrying this gun with a round in the chamber and the hammer down?

One would need to cock the hammer in order to fire the weapon.

That is not a safe way to carry a 1911. They should be either empty chamber or cocked and locked. It is dangerous to lower the hammer on a live round. It is also dangerous to cock the hammer over a live round. Both are because your thumb could slip off the hammer and cause a negligent discharge.

#11 ·
should never let the slide slam forward on a empty chamber. the guy you spoke to has it all bassackwards

#12 ·
That is not a safe way to carry a 1911. They should be either empty chamber or cocked and locked. It is dangerous to lower the hammer on a live round. It is also dangerous to cock the hammer over a live round. Both are because your thumb could slip off the hammer and cause a negligent discharge.
Yeah, condition 1or3 is the safest way to carry a 1911. However, we are not talking about carry in this thread. We are discussing function.

#16 ·
Yeah, condition 1or3 is the safest way to carry a 1911. However, we are not talking about carry in this thread. We are discussing function.
It would be irresponsible to read a post about unsafe gun handling and not say something.

#17 ·
He said it wouldn't be as bad with one in the chamber I'm looking for real knowledgeable responses not smart a** ones thanks.
Funny thing about that is, the chamber has nothing at all to do with the hammer itself. That's like saying a certain clock radio in a car will make "this or that" carburetor work more efficiently. Makes no sense at all.

No, just rest assured the guy didn't know what the hell he was talking about.

I've been in shops where they didn't want people to cycle the action because of the finish wear that will happen between the hammer and firing pin stop, and demanded that you use your thumb.

#18 ·
Funny thing about that is, the chamber has nothing at all to do with the hammer itself. That's like saying a certain clock radio in a car will make "this or that" carburetor work more efficiently. Makes no sense at all.
The round as it chambers acts like a cushion in the chamber area.
Also remember that when the slide actuates when firing, you finger is holding the trigger to the rear, allowing sear and hammer not to be interferred with by the disconnector.

#19 ·
The round as it chambers acts like a cushion in the chamber area.
Also remember that when the slide actuates when firing, you finger is holding the trigger to the rear, allowing sear and hammer not to be interferred with by the disconnector.

But what does a round in the chamber have to do with manually letting down a hammer?

#21 ·
I was in my LGS today just browsing and decided to look at an ed brown customized 1911. So the worker hands it to me and said not to cock the hammer back with my hand or to let the hammer down with my hand just pull the slide back and dry fire it if I was going to do anything. He told me that cocking the hammer or releasing it with your hand was bad on it.

I've never heard this and was wanting some insight on the matter so if you know why this is bad on it please tell me why and what its bad on. Thanks.
Short answer---BULLSHET ;)

#23 ·
But what does a round in the chamber have to do with manually letting down a hammer?
You are correct. I was wrong. I took your post as allowing the slide to slam forward without a round in the chamber.

IMO, putting the hammer down with the thumb on a 1911 with one in the chamber is dangerous and negligent.

#25 ·
He said it wouldn't be as bad with one in the chamber I'm looking for real knowledgeable responses not smart a** ones thanks.
If this gun shop is any like the one close to where I live about 1/4 of the workers actually know about guns and know the facts. The other 75% act like they know what they are talking about but actually have no idea. They are the kind that are "always" right because "I" work in a gun store. I go in there to look at guns at that is it, I will do my purchasing somewhere else.
OK, you want a honest knowledgeable answer? Maybe the people at your LGS recognize you as someone who comes in and fondles the firearms, asks questions and takes up their employees time but never buys anything.

They probably roll their eyes when they see you coming....:rolleyes:

#26 ·
OK, you want a honest knowledgeable answer? Maybe the people at your LGS recognize you as someone who comes in and fondles the firearms, asks questions and takes up their employees time but never buys anything.

They probably roll their eyes when they see you coming....:rolleyes:
That's definatley not the case. And thanks for staying on the subject of mechanics of the firearm if you don't know that's fine just trying to get an actual answer from someone that knows why or why not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.