1911 Gunsmithing books

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by trip286, Feb 26, 2013.

1. trip286

trip286 New Member

Okay, so after my recent foray into the world of trying to track down parts locally...

I've decided that, although I may not (likely won't) make a career out of it, I would like to learn more about smithing the 1911. This is something I expect will help me in the long run, because I plan on doing all my own work, and one day, I would like to own a 1911 collection as extensive and impressive as other's here.

Any good books to start with?

I'm thinking the Kunhausen (sp?) shop manuals. Anyone familiar with them?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Interested for my own use as well, *subscribed*

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Cool. If I had to guess from your avatar, we would like the same books.

4. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Actually finishing my third time through the series, this being the 1st time I had 'Wind through the keyhole' to go between books 4-5

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

I read through it twice and read the one your on too, then picked and chose a couple. I also HAD to read several that were referenced in the series, hearts of Atlantis, from a Buick 8, and insomnia. So many of his books reference each other.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

those are good books. i have seen them, and really need a set of my own.

both of you need to check out Brownell's and MidwayUSA. both carry a lot of books on the 1911's. Brownell's has a very extensive collection of them, from basic cleaning and maintenance to full on modifications.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've been anxiously awaiting their 1911 catalog...

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i need to get a new one myself. that and the huge catalog as well.

9. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

Kuhnhausen shop manuals may be all that YOU will need. There is also an Ed Brown publication on customization that has been recomended to me numerous times but I have not induldged yet. As I'm sure you already know, prepare to invest some cash if you are serious about it. Hopefully you have access/knowhow in machine work as you can make some of the jigs/necessities without feeling like a prison play toy. I'm just starting the fun myself.:)

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

I would start small and work myself up. Things I could do cheap, quick, and easy, like mostly parts replacement. But, some parts need a little handfitting occasionally, and I would like a better understanding of how they interact so that I could do the best I could. Again, I wouldn't be looking at going into business doing it, at least not right away. That would be something like a 5 or 10 year goal.

I'm actually pretty good with handfiles and stones. Did some revolver work on my own gun and for a local cop in my old town (he had me do some action work on his S&W model 36), and I learned it all from Larry Potterfield's youtube videos ;)

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I'm kinda like Denzel in "The Book Of Eli" -
    Its all in my head :p