1911 Grips

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by McNabb11b, Feb 7, 2009.

1. McNabb11b

McNabb11b New Member

I have decided that since I have a bunch of extra time on my hands I am going to build myself some hardwood grips for my springfield champion. Today I picked out a nice light hard wood, I don't know what kind it is, but it is pretty. It was just laying around the shop. I cut these down into about the same pieces and am now calling these the "blanks". I will post pictures here later and throughout the project if anyone is interested. I hope it turns out. I am thinking about doing a checkering by hand if I am feeling really adventurous, but that decision will come later. I am open to comments and feed back, also feel free to ask any questions as it may help me to think some of these things through.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Interesting undertaking. I look forward to seeing some pictures of your work as the project progresses.

JD

3. McNabb11b

McNabb11b New Member

Here are the blanks.
    GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg
    sorry the quality is not so good.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I hope Sarge43 drops by, he has "some" experience with this type of work.
    I remember him talking about conditioning of the scales (I think that's what they call the blanks) before working them to prevent cracking when they dry out later.

Sarge43 are you out there? I have been thinking about experimenting with a set myself.

I have a set of Hogues on my XSE and love them.
    I want to make a one piece grip that would wrap around with finger groves.
    I'm doing a design that would require no grip screws.

[​IMG]

McNabb, keep us in the loop with the progress.

5. biff44

biff44 New Member

you can soak the wood in this stuff and it will not crack.

6. McNabb11b

McNabb11b New Member

Today was busy. first I drilled the holes to fit the weapon. Kinda reminds me of a GLOCK. :D
    glock.jpg
    After this I cut the traced shape out of the scales. (Thanks Cane)
    cut blank.jpg
    After hours of sanding I finally got them fitted, even, and worked into shape. now they look like grips as seen here on my 45.
    fin1.jpg fin2.jpg
    fin3.jpg
    Now comes the decision making. I am either going to make an attempt at checkering on Wednesday, or leave as is and stain tomorrow. It also ocurred to me that I could get a couple of liberty head nickels with the year 1911 stamped on them and inlay them into the middle.

7. McNabb11b

McNabb11b New Member

1911_Liberty_Nickel_Obv.jpg 1911_Liberty_Nickel_Rev.jpg
    Here they are. Is this a good idea? :cool:

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

No way, not ugly enough! [​IMG]

Decisions, decisions, decisions?

Mac I'm impressed! And the Liberty head nickels are a grest idea! Will the proportions be good? I'm thinkin' they may be a little big? Maybe a Barber dime? Lay one of the nickels on the grip and take a photo, let's see em.

IMHO, I'd go with smooth on the first attempt unless you have done checkering before. It's tough!

Maybe stippling? It's way easier.

[​IMG]

9. McNabb11b

McNabb11b New Member

I had thought about using a penny but Lady Liberty seemed more romantic. I will try some stippling on some other wood to see if I like it. I do want to show some of the grain also, so I am pretty torn. Thanks for your help.

10. Sarge43

Sarge43 New Member

Hey! Looking good! I just stopped by to talk about what I think Cane was talking about when he said "condition" the grips - I believe he's talking about stabilization. Correct me if I'm wrong Cane. Stabilization is not generally needed on solid and/or dense woods (there are exceptions). It is a process by which the wood is impregnated with some type of polymer to make the wood harder or fill punky areas and just make the wood generally much tougher and mroe workable. Most professional services do this with an acrylic or polyester resin forced into the wood under high pressure so that the wood is totally saturated. This is the best way. You can do some light stabilization at home if you feel it's warranted with a minwax product called "Wood hardener" (available at hardware stores, home depot etc) or the REAL old fashioned home boy method of mixing equal parts of lacquer and lacquer thinner in a jar and letting the wood soak in it overnight at least. When you take it out, you'll have to let it dry thouroughly before using it or machining it.
    I'm glad to see someone else trying their hand at grip making. If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.!
    I look forward to finished pics!
    Sarge

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I would not checker them grips. I would jsut sand them down nice and smooth and tru-oil them to death. Or do a clear on them make them nice and shiny. I think they would look great like that.

12. McNabb11b

McNabb11b New Member

I have decided not to checker and to go with a hand rubbed finish with some wood wax. Will post pics. :cool:

13. McNabb11b

McNabb11b New Member

OMG Sarge, I just looked at your site, Your grips are gorgeous.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Mac, I hope you're doin' that caus U want to, not from peernius* pressure??

*peer + penis = peernius [​IMG] (get it McNabb?)

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I told you guys sarge has his $hit in one sock! [​IMG]

16. McNabb11b

McNabb11b New Member

No I started doing this this morning before I read these. I went out and experimented with all sorts of stains and finished on stippled and regular wood. I am going to put the liberty nickel into them I think. I will call it Era Licentia.

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

"End of an Era", Nice, seeing how we just experienced Obamageddon or was it Barackocaust? [​IMG]

18. McNabb11b

McNabb11b New Member

Actually it means Lady Liberty, Would that be somehow blasphemous?

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Damn Latin, failed it too!!